NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book. Also, because the answers to most of the clues consist of one word, students will benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from BRAVE NEW WORLD. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence in which it appears in the book. Students must decide provide either a synonym or an antonym for the challenging word.
Examples of clues:
* “But as I make the laws here, I can also break them. With IMPUNITY, Mr. Marx,” he added. (Exemption from ___; syn.) ANSWER: punishment
* “A good beginning for a Solidarity Service,” thought Bernard miserably, and foresaw for himself yet another failure to achieve ATONEMENT. (syn.) ANSWER: amends
* He passed his hand across his eyes, he sighed, his voice became PLAINTIVE. (ant.) ANSWER: sad
* A ball...was hurled through one or other of the numerous APERTURES pierced in the cylindrical casing, and had to be caught. (syn.) ANSWER: openings
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the BRAVE NEW WORLD edition of Bookmarks Plus. Please see the list of products below.
Also, the same 25 words are part of my BRAVE NEW WORLD 50-word Prereading Crossword, which familiarizes students with new words before they read the book. Please see the list of products below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Here are my unique companion products over BRAVE NEW WORLD—view them in my store!
* Bookmarks Plus: BRAVE NEW WORLD—A Very Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* BRAVE NEW WORLD: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! Use with Bookmarks Plus and the Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
* BRAVE NEW WORLD: 50-Word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Helps prepare students for reading the book! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Brave New World edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Brave New World synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to expose students to new words three times!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!