Brigham Young, Mormons, & Westward Expansion! Why were the Mormons moving West? Google 1:1 Compatible!
This lesson is included as part of the Westward Expansion and Manifest Destiny Unit, located here:
Westward Expansion and Manifest Destiny Unit!
Buy the Bundle and save a Bundle!
In this common-core oriented lesson, students read an account from a Mormon who is traveling on the Oregon / Mormon trail with Brigham Young. Once finished, students will complete a graphic organizer with FOUR common-core style questions that forces students back into the text. This assignment encourages students to place themselves in the author's shoes, and for students to imagine the life experiences of Mormons on the trail west.
In this activity, students will learn:
- why Mormons were seeking to move westward
- how Mormons were treated in the east
- how they justify their decision to move westward
- what life was like along the trail
- their views on Joseph Smith and Brigham Young
- what geography is like along the trail
- what exactly Mormons are seeking in the west
- the role Mormons played in Manifest Destiny
Also included is an accompanying Mormon activity where students read four small snippets of information about Mormon history in the Utah Territory and create images and captions to go with them!
Finally, students can view the included Prezi to reinforce what they have learned about Mormons along the trail.
Enjoy! Very Common Core focused!
Be sure to follow the History with Mr E Facebook page
, and don't forget to signup for the Social Studies Newsletter
to receive information on flash sales, product releases, and classroom tips!