PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Currently reading Bronx Masquerade with your students? Thinking about using this text in your classroom? I highly recommend it. Every time I've taught this book with middle schoolers, it has been a rewarding, growth producing, and an amazing experience with my students. They love it. And, they've loved the opportunity to recreate their own Open Mike Fridays.
Over the course of teaching this text, I've created 4 different ways for students to study the 18 students in Mr. Ward's English class! Today is your day to benefit.
Unique details of this lesson?
- Titles of the character studies are non-leveled to ease your use when differentiating
- Each character study was designed with differentiation in mind to help you hit students' ZPD and learning preferences
- Character studies can be used during reading and after reading or as assessments
- Develops close reading skills, the difference between facts, experience, and commentary, and understanding differing viewpoints on a single theme or topic
These character studies will last the length of your Bronx Masquerade unit.
This detailed lesson includes:
- Aligned CCSS Anchor Standards
- Aligned Teaching Tolerance & Anti-Bias Anchor Standards
- Character Study #1: Studying the student of Mr. Ward's English Class
- Character Study #2: Getting to know ________________
- Character Study #3: Picturing _________________
- Character Study #4: Character Perspectives
Skills developed in this lesson
- Determining what the text says explicitly, making logical inferences, citing specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions from the text
- Analyzing how & why characters develop through their intra- and interpersonal interactions
- Analyzing specific sentences, paragraphs, & larger portions of the text & how they relate to each other & the whole
- Assess how the point-of-view or purpose shapes the content & style of a text
- Students will recognize that people's multiple identities interact & create unique & complex individuals
We love followers!
Be the first to receive news about store discounts, free products, and new products! Just click the "Follow Me" star under our store name above or on our homepage.
Sincerely, Beth Salyers
Off The Beaten Path - Curriculum & Instruction
If you like this lesson, check out these Spoken Work lessons: