This packet is full of fun, engaging, standards-based math and literacy activities for kindergarteners at the beginning of the school year!!! It is a great accompaniment to "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?". The activities are simple to begin to build procedures for centers and/or work stations.
Topics include sorting by color, counting sets to 10, writing numbers, building color words/letter recognition, sorting by beginning sounds, and writing letters.
Centers include the following:
1. Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Can You Sort?:
This activity has 9 different sorting mats and 54 sorting pieces. It can be used in multiple ways. First, students could simply sort the pieces by color onto the sorting mats. Second, it could be played as a game. Students would choose a color game-board. The game cards would be placed face-down. On a turn, the student would choose a card. If the color matches the game-board, the student would keep the card. If not, they would return it to the pile. The first student to cover all 6 boxes on the game-board wins. There are 3 different recording sheets provided.
2. Counting with Brown Bear and Friends: Students choose a game-board which has the numbers from 0 to 10 on it. During each turn, the student chooses a card from the pile. They count the set on the card and cover the numeral. They continue until someone covers all of the numbers on the game-board. Several different recording sheets are provided to give options for your classroom.
3. Roll, Write, and Race: Students roll a dice and write the corresponding number on their game-board. Game-boards can be laminated or placed in plastic sheet protectors to be used over and over. There are twelve game-boards to use; six allow students to write the numerals, while the other six have the students trace the numerals. There are also recording sheets provided, if you would like to use them.
4. Let's Build Color Words: Students practice letter matching skills and color/color word recognition as they complete this activity. They choose a mat and build the color word. There are two different color tile pieces provided (one in color to match the color word and one in black text); magnetic letters would also be a great addition to this activity. There is a recording sheet provided.
5. Green Frog, Green Frog, What Do You HEAR?:
In this activity, students practice listening for beginning sounds and sorting pictures by beginning sound. There are 6 different sorting mats with 12 picture cards for each. Each mat and its cards have the same color background to help keep this activity organized.
6. Writing ABCs Is So Much Fun!: Students will practice writing uppercase and lowercase letters. These pages can be laminated or placed in plastic sheet protectors. Students then write using dry erase markers. These pages can also be printed on regular copy paper for assessment or other practice.
I hope you find this product useful for your classroom!!
If you like this product, you might find my other Brown Bear theme Products useful:
*Brown Bear and Friends Literacy Practice Pages*
*Brown Bear Pattern Practice Pages*
*Brown Bear Graphing Practice Pages*
*FREE Brown Bear Counting Practice Pages*
Thanks for looking and happy teaching!!
Clip Art from KPM Doodles, ClipArt.com, and Microsoft Office Online.
Backgrounds from Scrappin Doodles