Brown Girl Dreaming Novel Study BUNDLE for Middle School ELA and Reading
- Easel Activity
Products in this Bundle (5)
A no-prep, comprehensive novel study for you! This resource combines four separate resources to provide over 110 pages of Common Core aligned curriculum specifically tailored to the text. The complete unit connects to every ELA standard, models comprehension skills for independent reading, and encourages readers to move beyond the basics.
"What is bad won't be bad forever..." p. 130
Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson is a memoir in verse that takes readers on a journey through the author's childhood, growing up in South Carolina and New York City. Through beautifuly imagery and relevant observations, we see the aspiring author growth, question, struggle, and finally find her brilliance. Themes of resilience, family, love, racism, hope, change, and self-discovery will resonate with middle school students.
THIS RESOURCE COMBINES FOUR PRODUCTS INTO ONE AND INCLUDES:
- Courageous Readers handout
- Comprehension Skills handout
- Pre-Reading Activities to introduce the book and its themes
- Reading Road Maps for text-centered questions that feature a focused skill and include page references for added support.
- Enrichment Activities to accommodate a variety of learning styles and levels. Each activity focuses on a key component of plot, character development, text analysis, perspective and more.
- Vocabulary Words taken directly from the text complete with page reference and definition.
- Vocabulary Activities that provide an opportunity for students to understand word relationships, usage, connotation, and etymology.
- Task Cards for flexible, hands-on instruction.
- Culminating Projects to use as assessments, complete with rubrics
- Writing Prompts that cover narrative, informative, and persuasive writing, with rubrics
- Quick Quiz offering a fast way to assess basic comprehension