I’ve organized this (no prep needed) Bug Themed Language Arts Resource into a few subsections to help with flow but you can use the worksheets in any order that works for you. An answer key is provided at the end.
Observation (Science) Worksheets:
• Bug Fact Booklet- fill in the information for the following bugs: ant, bee, spider, worm, caterpillar, butterfly
• It’s A Bug’s Life-students draw pictures of bugs they have seen.
• My Bug Observation Book- students fill in the book with descriptions of the bugs they catch
• Buzzing Around With Adjectives- students describe bugs using 3 adjectives
• Where Do They Live?- students name and draw bug’s homes
• Insect or Not- cut & paste activity where they sort bugs based on whether they are an insect or not
• Venn Diagrams- comparison between bee vs spider & caterpillar vs butterfly
• My Buggy Buddy- which bug would you choose as a pet?
• Ick! I turned Into An Insect- Ick! You now have 6 legs.
• Acrostic Poem Sheets- butterfly, bumblebee, ladybug, earthworm
• A Spider Story- story prompt
General Vocabulary/Phonics Worksheets:
• Spider Syllable Sort- sort words based on how many syllables they have
• Antsy About Alphabetical Order- put 10 words in alphabetical order
• Veer to the Right Vowel Sound- circle the word with the same vowel sound
• Short & Long Vowel Sounds-sort words into short or long vowel sounds
• Ant-onyms- match up the antonyms
• Swatting Synonyms- cross out the word that is not a synonym for the given words
• Dragonfly Differentiation- differentiate which word pairs are synonyms and which are antonyms
• Hive Homonyms- match up the homonyms, circle the homonym in the pair that makes sense in the short story
• Caterpillar Contractions- choose the word that completes the contraction
• Moth Mania Contractions- fill in the blanks to complete the contractions
Parts of Speech Worksheets:
• Ladybug Noun Sort- sort nouns into person, place or thing
• Spot the Noun- circle the nouns in the sentences then sort them into person, place or thing
• Preying on Pronouns- distinguish between nouns and pronouns
• Praying Mantis Plural Sort- turn nouns plural by adding either –s,-es, or -ies
• Circle the Verb- circle the verb shown in the picture
• Worming Our Way Through Verb Tense- distinguish between past, present and future verbs
Conventions/Sentence Structure Worksheets:
• Caterpillar Capital Letter Practice- rewrite sentences with proper capitalization
• Grub the right punctuation- add proper punctuation(!,? or.) to the sentences
• Shining the Light on Commas- 3 worksheets- Lists, Place & Date, General Practice
• Spot the Missing Quotation Marks- add quotation marks to the sentences where needed.