BUGS! So many fun and engaging activities for your little learners are included in this pack, from colors, shapes, counting, letter recognition, beginnings sounds, rhyming to parts of a bug, life cycle of a butterfly three-step sequencing, and a super fun sequencing activity of the book 'In the Tall, Tall Grass' by Denise Fleming. This will complete your bug unit from beginning to end! Here's what's included:
• Catch a Bug Shapes: Students use the magnifying class to pick the bug, identify the shape, and place in the jar for safekeeping! Two sizes of jars to choose from. The big size is great for whole class activities, while the smaller jars are perfect for file folders or cookie sheet activities, when backed with magnetic tape. Print on cardstock, laminate, and cut apart. Shapes included are circle, square, triangle rectangle, rhombus, hexagon, oval, trapezoid, pentagon, octagon, star, heart, and crescent. An individual student cut and glue activity is also provided.
• Catch a Bug Colors: Two types of jars to choose from, ones with colored lids for little ones just learning their colors to match the bugs by color, and jars with color words only to help with learning to read color words by sight. Colors included are red, blue, yellow, purple, green, orange, pink, gray, black, brown, and white. Patterns are also offered in black and white so you can run on construction paper, or colored cardstock to save on ink. Print, laminate, and cut apart.
• Swat a Sound/Alphabugs: Flies with letters of the alphabet and fly swatters with letter sounds. Students can match letters with letter sounds, play memory, etc. with these cards. Call letters are also included to allow students to play a game where a letter is named and the student that ‘swats’ the card first gets to keep the card. I typically have two students paired up together by ability level to play this game and provide them with real fly swatters. This is a favorite activity for my class! Print on cardstock, laminate, and cut apart cards.
• ‘In the Tall, Tall, Grass’ Retelling/Sequencing Activity: Use after reading ‘In the Tall, Tall Grass’ by Denise Fleming. Students cut apart and glue the pictures in order of appearance in the book on a green sentence strip or strip of green paper. They then snip the top of the strip to make it look like grass. Make into a headband, if desired.
• Does it Rhyme Cards: Set of words from ‘The Tall, Tall Grass’ by Denise Fleming. Students listen to the words and decide if they rhyme or not. They give a thumbs up if it rhymes and thumbs down if it doesn’t rhyme. A great way to quickly assess who grasps the concept of rhyming. Print on cardstock, laminate, and cut apart.
• In the Tall, Tall Grass Rhyming Cards: Sets of rhyming cards for students to pair together to make a rhyming pair. Print on cardstock, laminate and cut apart. Use with a pocket chart, as a cookie sheet activity after backing with magnetic tape, or play as a memory game to make a rhyme. An individual student rhyming cut and glue activity is also provided.
• Count and Clip Lightning Bug Cards: Students count the number of lightning bugs and then use a clothespin to clip on the correct number, or use a fry erase marker to circle the correct number of bugs in the jar. Number of bugs range from 0 to 13.
• Critter Counting: Students count the number of ladybugs and ants on the leaves and then add them together. Number combinations to 10 are provided, along with an individual recording sheet.
• Greater than/Less than Bugs In a Jar Cards: Students turn over two bug jar cards, count the bugs in each jar, and then decide which jar has more bugs. Alligator greater than, less than, and equal signs are provided to use, if desired. Print two copies, laminate, and cut apart cards. An individual student activity page is also included.
• Bug Brain Break Cards: Get your class moving and grooving with these action cards. Students can choose a card and perform the action or use as a whole class activity. Print on cardstock, laminate, and cut apart cards.
• Bug Sorting Activity: Students sort the bug in jars by whether they have wings or not. An individual student cut and glue activity is also provided.
• Parts of a Bug Labeling Activity. Offered in both color and black and white, students cut labels of bug body parts of an ant and/or grasshopper and glue in the correct spot. Picture icons are included with the word for easy labeling.
• Three Step Butterfly Activity: Offered in color and black and white. Students sequence the life cycle of a butterfly in three steps.
Follow my blog Preschool Wonders
and store by clicking on the green star to be notified when new products are posted. New products are discounted 50% for the first 48 hours!