Talk a Mile A Minute is a Marzano Strategy that promotes the use of acadmic vocabulary. This "Talk a Mile a Minute" set includes pre-made vocabulary cards that can be printed and used immeadiatly in the classroom.
There are cards for all Common Core Domains in grades 4 and 5.
(Operations & Algebraic Thinking, Number and Operations in Base-10, Number and Operations in Fractions, Measurement & Data, and Geometry)
General Description: Players take turns trying to get their partner to guess the words in a specified category by giving oral clues describing each word.
1. Have the pair students sit or stand face to face with one another. Designated one student as the “talker” and the other one as the “solver.”
2. Pass out word cards to all of the “talkers,” but tell them not to look at the list until told to do so.
3. On a given signal, tell the “talkers” to look at the vocabulary card.
4. The objective is for the students facing the list of words to immediately tell their partner the category (such as Geometry) and attempt to get them to say all of the terms within the minute by only providing them clues such as definitions, synonyms, antonyms. The “talker” cannot say any of the words on the list first or any rhyming words.
5. At the end of a minute, each team earns a point for every word that the “solver” guesses.
6. Discuss the different clues used to describe each word. Which clues were most helpful? Why?
7. Have the partners switch roles and begin the next round with a new word list.
Tips: Remind students that
• they may not use any of the words on the list or in the topic name while playing
• they may not use any rhyming words
• Pair students homogeneously and strategically give out specific vocabulary cards according to the needs of the students
• Pair students heterogeneously and struggling students have exposure to good use of academic language. Have the higher students be the “talker” first.
• Have students create their own cards using words they recognize as words they don’t understand.
• Put sets of laminated cards on rings for easy access and use.
• Model. Model, Model
• Have a clear signal to end each round such as a timer or buzzer