Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
SEPTEMBER is back to school time and this is your chance to set a positive tone in your classroom.
SAVE HOURS of PREP WORK with this package of high interest, fun activities for your students to help build classroom community: character, citizenship, communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity.
SEP 21, 2019 UPDATE:
(PSST, SAVE MONEY! THIS PRODUCT IS AVAILABLE IN A GROWING BUNDLE )
This lesson includes 6 fun icebreakers to play with your class during the first weeks of school.
This is a great way to introduce the Six Cs learning skills to your students and to set a tone for a year of growth mindset and character education:
The Six Cs are a bunch of transferable skills that you can use at school, at home, at a job… pretty much anywhere. They’re learning skills that some people think our students are going to need in order to be successful in the 21st century.
In this package, you get over a week’s worth of lessons to do with your students (6 periods of material). Each icebreaker lesson is intended to fill one period of instruction and includes…
* an explanation for teachers of how the icebreaker connects to one of the Six Cs.
* a description of the activity for students,
* discussion questions and teacher talking points to guide conversation
Here are the six icebreakers we carefully selected to line up with the Six Cs.
* Character (Human Knot)
* Citizenship (Switch Spots if you...)
* Collaboration (Human Shapes)
* Communication (Line Up)
* Creativity (Boggle Brainstorm)
* Critical Thinking (Build a Tower)
There are lots of ways you could use this package:
1. Homeroom teachers could do one of these activities at the end of every day during the first week of September.
2. Literacy teachers could do these activities at the start of the term and collect some diagnostic information about their students abilities in oral communication and group work.
3. Your school could organize a fun Welcome Back to School event.
* At a morning assembly, after the Principal welcomes back the students, do the Six C unit overview presentation to introduce the Six Cs to the student body. (The Unit Overview lesson is provided for free here: https://educircles.org/resources/exploring-the-six-cs-unit-overview-lesson/
* Students could then visit 6 workshop stations throughout the day. Each workshop would focus on one of the Six Cs and could use the icebreakers from this package.
* The teacher running the workshop would use the lesson plan to teach the “C” to different groups of students throughout the day. (Using the lesson plan from this package means teachers don’t have to prepare anything new for the first day event. All of the materials will be provided to them. That way, they can focus on preparing their material for their own classes.)
* During the rest of the week, literacy teachers or homeroom teachers could have deeper conversations about the Six Cs with their classes. (But, a consistent and systematic initial overview of the Six Cs would be provided to all students on the first day.)
When you download the zipped file, it includes:
* A 23 page lesson plan (PDF)
* A Microsoft Powerpoint (PPT) file (that you can modify)
* A link to the Google Slideshow file (that you can copy and modify)
NOTE: This lesson is part of a larger unit called “Exploring the Six Cs” / "21st Century Skills"
The Six Cs are a bunch of transferable skills that you can use at school, at home, at a job… pretty much anywhere. They’re learning skills to help us be successful in the 21st century.
Each Chapter package focuses on a different “C” and contains different lessons, slides, videos, and handouts. Although we use the same structure in each chapter (activity, video, vocabulary building), there is no overlap of content between packages.
Lessons can be purchased individually, or you can SAVE MONEY and purchase the entire unit as a BUNDLE.