This fun, engaging, and hands-on learning opportunity provides students with a wonderful way to practice drawing line segments and measuring lines in centimeters.
In this activity, students create their own robot to assist the teacher around the classroom!
From the student directions:
"Our class has been nominated as a
scientifically advanced class! Due to this nomination, I am asking for your help! The students of our classroom will create a robot to help assist the teacher around the classroom.
"Your objective is to create a robot using the given materials, which may be manipulated, cut and glued together to create your masterpiece. Remember, you want your robot to be helpful to your teacher around the classroom. Make sure it is complete with some helpful features!"
This learning opportunity includes the following activities:
1. Practice measuring line segments
2. Practice drawing line segments
3. Sketch your robot and provide labels and measurement plans
4. Construct the robot using classroom materials
5. Measure the robot's body and one arm
6. Draw one part of the robot using points, line segments, and precise measurements
7. Write about a helpful feature of your robot
Have so much fun!
Thank you for your support!
Isabelle MacDonald from Wild & Free in Grade Three
For more from Isabelle MacDonald, visit her TPT store!
Wild & Free in Grade Three
Keywords: robot, STEM, project, hands-on, hands on, engage, math, third grade, fourth grade, review, line, geometry, craft, authentic, performance task, assessment, real world