One of the centers offered to the students during free-choice exploration workshop is building with blocks or other materials. Building and creating play is a great way to develop skills that we typically label as “academic”. Children expand their understanding and application of multiple math, science and social skills.
To challenge students while keeping these centers child-initiated, we can offer provocations and challenges.
This resource contains pictures of farms to inspire children to build and learn about a variety of different types of farms in blocks, art or discovery center. It also includes challenges to extend children's thinking.
What is included:
- 13 pictures of a variety of different farms to post in block center as a provocation
- 3 challenges to pose to children in the block center
- 2 challenges to pose to children at the sensory table
- 1 challenge to pose at the art center
- 2 challenge to pose at the discovery center
- 1 challenge to pose at the Lego table along with 3 pictures to expand their thinking
- Letter to families
- Ideas for open-ended questions to pose to encourage critical thinking
- Ideas for vocabulary words to use in conversation to expand the students working vocabulary