Bullfighting is an integral part of Hispanic culture, but it is often very misunderstood in the United States. The purpose of this activity is to introduce you to the art of bullfighting and to help you form your own opinion of its value and morality.
Questions & Task
In this WebQuest you will research such topics as the history of bullfighting, the rules of bullfighting, the roles of the various participants, the costumes, and famous matadors.
The Process and Resources
You will be working in groups of 3-4 students to research bullfighting. Your tasks are as follows:
a. Write out answers to the questions listed below.
b. Based on the information that you have gathered write 10 questions (with answers) that could be used to play a “Bullfight Trivia” game.
c. As a group, create a poster advertising an upcoming bullfight.
As you look at the posters notice what they all have in common and incorporate these aspects into your poster. Use your names as the featured performers -you could even superimpose your pictures onto a computer matador image. Make sure that all the information that you include (dates, colors, times, etc. ) is accurate.
The following site is a great introduction to bullfighting. Check it out to begin your exploration.
2. Different Perspectives on the Topic
Continue your research with these sites that offer even more information.
¡AY, AY, AY!
3. Debate and Discuss What You Learned
1. identify the following bullfight terms- toro, plaza de toros, corrida, traje de luces, veronica, matador, banderillero, picador
2. discuss your opinion of bullfighting based on the information that you have gathered. Is it an art? a sport? or cruelty to animals?
4. Final Draft
Decorate cover page with bullfighting clip art
*Turn in Rough Draft with Final Draft (only one copy per group).
"The only thing you feel is fear because you know that any minute now, he can get you, and you won’t be able to do anything about it…your heart feels like it’s in your throat." Christina Sanchez
First female matador
1. When and from where did the idea for bullfighting come?
2. Who are its participants?
3. What does the costume look like and what is its significance?
4. What happens during a bullfight?
5. What rules do its participants follow?
6. What rewards are given to bullfighters?
7. What is it like to be a spectator?
8. When and where do bullfights take place?
9. Who are some famous bullfighters?
Define the following terms:
Plaza de toros:
Traje de luces:
Create 10 bullfighting trivia questions (and answers)
Based on the information you have gathered, what is your opinion of bullfighting? Is it an art? A sport? Cruelty to animals?