The following common core aligned bundle of lessons/worksheets focuses on the continent of Africa. This bundle includes 5 75-minute worksheets that cover African Geography, West African Trading Empires, Imperialism in Africa, African Nations Gain Their Independence, and the Rise and Fall of Apartheid. Purchase this bundle and save $4.00 (if you purchased all five worksheets separately). The worksheets include a variety of student-centered activities designed to develop critical thinking skills and foster class discussion.
The Geography of Africa - Global History Common Core
• Do now
• African geography analysis – Help or Hurt the People of Africa – could be completed in pairs, in small groups or individually.
• Brief discussion of African religion – includes critical thinking questions.
• Discussion of the Bantu migrations – includes several questions perfect for whole class discussion.
• Answer the aim
West African Trading Empires - Global/World History Common Core
• Do now - Primary source reading with questions – perfect for discussion.
• Primary and secondary source readings on each of the major West African Empires (Ghana, Mali, and Songhai) with brief focus on Mansa Musa and Ibn Battuta. Includes many critical thinking questions and writing opportunities.
• Includes link to “historyteachers” music video on Mansa Musa. – Kids love them!
• Answer the aim.
• Fill-in-the-blank notes (with answers)
Imperialism in Africa worksheet - Global/World History Common Core
• Do now that serves to review from the previous lesson as well as set up the current one.
• Introduction to the Scramble for Africa – includes several thought provoking and critical thinking questions.
• Small group activity – Primary Sources on Pros and Cons of Imperialism in Africa – analysis of primary source documents – students complete a chart and answer several critical thinking questions.
• Class discussion follows.
African Nations Gain Independence worksheet - Global/World History Common Core
• Do now cartoon analysis reviewing the reasons and process of African imperialism.
Small group activity – analyzing challenges of Africa under colonial rule and potential methods of gaining independence.
• Song analysis – War by Bob Marley (lyrics and song not included but available online for free) – includes questions
• Case studies – Ghana and Kenya – includes primary and secondary source readings and many critical thinking questions perfect for class discussion.
• Discussion of potential African problems after colonialism
• Fill-in-the-blank notes with answers.
Apartheid in South Africa & Mandela - Global/World History Common Core
• Do now that sets up the lesson well.
• Primary and secondary source introduction of apartheid including several actual apartheid laws. – questions follow.
• Song and lyric analysis – Dave Matthews Band, “Cry Freedom.” (song and lyrics not included due to copyrights) – critical thinking questions follow.
• Primary and secondary source readings on the African National Congress, Nelson Mandela, and the end of apartheid. Includes several critical thinking questions perfect for small group or whole class discussion.
• Fill-in-the-blanks notes – includes answers.
These lessons can easily be modified to fit a longer or shorter class period. Please follow me to receive notifications when new products become available. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Please rate this bundle! Thanks!
Please see each individual worksheet (available on TPT also) for the previews and specific common core standards.