The following bundle focuses on the Age of Exploration. It focuses on the reasons for exploration, the explorations of Columbus, the Spanish conquest of the Americas, and the impact of the Spanish conquest (encomienda system, African slave trade). The lessons are typically taught over 5 75-minute class sessions. The worksheets contain a variety of student-centered activities designed to promote discussion and critical thinking. Save $3.00 if you purchase this bundle compared to purchasing each individual worksheet.
Age of Exploration - Columbus - Global/World History US History Common Core
• Do now that analyzes the benefits vs. risks of exploration.
• An analysis (secondary source readings) and discussion of the motivations behind exploration and advances in technology necessary for the voyages to start.
• Both readings include several thought-provoking questions perfect for sparking whole class discussion.
• Introduction to Columbus, video clip from 1492: Conquest of Paradise (video clip not included and can easily be omitted.) – questions follow.
• Reading on Columbian Exchange – creation of a thesis statement
• Document analysis – Was Columbus a hero or a villain – class discussion follows. An in-class writing assignment could easily be added.
• Brief fill-in-the-blank style notes (filled-in notes included for your convenience)
Spanish Conquest of the Americas - Global/World History Common Core
• Do now – discussion of the advantages that each side (Spanish vs. Natives) had in the conquest.
• Secondary source reading of the conquest of the Aztecs – includes several critical thinking and thought provoking questions.
• Song analysis – Neil Young’s Cortez the Killer (song and lyrics not included due to copyrights, both available online – includes several questions comparing the lyrics to the actual events of the conquest.
• What Would You Do? – Francisco Pizarro
• Readings on the rise of capitalism, joint-stock companies and mercantilism – questions included
• Cooperative group activity – mercantilism
• Fill-in-the-blank notes with answers
Impact of Spanish Conquest - Age of Exploration - Global/World History
• Secondary source reading about the encomienda system – followed by questions.
• Primary source reading from las Casas followed by several critical thinking questions.
• Primary source reading from Olaudah Equiano – with questions
• Video clip from Amistad (not included – but available on youtube) – several questions follow perfect for discussion.
• Answer the aim – effects of the Age of Exploration
• Fill-in-the-blank notes with answers.
These lessons can be easily modified for a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. I also offer each worksheet individually on this site. See each individual product listing for specific common core standards met by each lesson. Please follow me to receive notifications for new products. Finally, Please take the time to rate this bundle. Thank you!