Bundle of 22 editions of Endowment Real World Performance Task for 11th and 12th grade
In the Endowment Performance Task, students use real information about university of their choice to practice informative reading and writing in an engaging, real world context. Students take on the role of a treasurer for the university and report to alumni on how the endowment is being spent.
Students read other informative texts about university endowments and analyze information about endowments at the particular school. They then come up with an improvement on which the endowment could be spent at their chosen school and attend a finance department meeting to report on their plans, before writing their final newsletter to alumni. The task ends with the opportunity to develop informative writing in several ways, including focusing on bigger issues and the career in which the performance task is set.
22 different editions or versions of this Performance Task are included so students can work with the edition they are most interested in, or an appropriate edition can be chosen for the class. Some of the editions included are Cornell University, University of California Berkeley, and Yale University (see complete list below), which all require students to work with different information and complete extended responses linked to their selected edition.
This Performance Task could be completed for one level (explained below) in one lesson only or could be extended to make a short writing unit across a week.
What’s included in this Performance Task:
* Level 1 Activity
– Laying the foundation through reading. Students start by annotating and analyzing a text that carefully models the text type and answering standards aligned reading questions.
* Level 2 Activity
– Starting to write. Students use what they have learned so far to complete a short piece of writing or research or plan for their extended writing piece.
* Challenge Activity
– Bring on the collaboration! Fun and engaging speaking and listening activities through authentic simulations lead students toward their final piece of extended writing.
* Finale Activities
– Finish up. Each Performance Task ends with five options for extended writing of the same text type within the real-world context. Finale options reach Webb's Depth of Knowledge levels 3-4.
* Answer Key & Rubrics
– All Performance Tasks come with an answer key and rubrics, including grading guidance for teachers.
* Job Background
– Each Performance Task enables students to picture themselves in a real world career. Information about the career is given, including entry-level education, median pay, and job outlook.
- Where new domain-specific vocabulary is used, a student-friendly glossary is included.
This set comes with both teacher and student print-outs. Teacher print-outs include a teacher guide, answer key and rubrics.
Thanks and be sure to check out our other ELA Performance Tasks for high school!
There’s also a math equivalent of this Performance Task to download!
NOTE: The full list of editions included is: Baylor University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Duke University, Georgetown University, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, New York University, Northwestern University, Ohio State University, Princeton University, Stanford University, Texas Christian University, University of California Berkeley, University of California Berkeley, University of California Los Angeles, University of Chicago, University of Michigan, University of North Carolina, University of Notre Dame, University of Pennsylvania, University of Southern California, University of Washington, Yale University.
Get in touch if you would like to see other universities covered by this Performance Task.