Man vs Wild Performance Task for 11th-12th grade
In the Man vs Wild Performance Task, students use real information about zebras to practice informative reading and writing in an engaging, real world context. Students take on the role of a biomechanical engineer and write a product design specification for an animal prosthetic.
This Performance Task could be completed for one level (explained below) in one lesson only or could be extended to make a short writing unit across a week.
What’s included in this Performance Task:
* Level 1 Activity
– Laying the foundation through reading. Students start by annotating and analyzing a text that carefully models the text type and answering standards aligned reading questions.
* Level 2 Activity
– Starting to write. Students use what they have learned so far to complete a short piece of writing or research or plan for their extended writing piece.
* Challenge Activity
– Bring on the collaboration! Fun and engaging speaking and listening activities through authentic simulations lead students toward their final piece of extended writing.
* Finale Activities
– Finish up. Each Performance Task ends with five options for extended writing of the same text type within the real-world context. Finale options reach Webb's Depth of Knowledge levels 3-4.
* Answer Key & Rubrics
– All Performance Tasks come with an answer key and rubrics, including grading guidance for teachers.
* Job Background
– Each Performance Task enables students to picture themselves in a real world career. Information about the career is given, including entry-level education, median pay, and job outlook.
- Where new domain-specific vocabulary is used, a student-friendly glossary is included.
This task comes with both a teacher and student print-out. The teacher print-out includes a teacher guide, answer key and rubrics.
Thanks and be sure to check out our other ELA Performance Tasks for high school!
There’s also a math equivalent of this Performance Task to download!
NOTE: Get in touch if you would like to see other wild animals covered by this Performance Task.