Bundle of 10 editions of Summer Reading Contest Performance Task for 3rd grade
In the Summer Reading Contest Performance Task, students use real information about their favorite book series to practice opinion reading and writing in an engaging, real world context. Students take on the role of a school librarian and must convince 3rd grade students to read the book series as part of the Summer Reading Contest.
10 different editions or versions of this Performance Task are included so students can work with the edition they are most interested in, or an appropriate edition can be chosen for the class. Some of the editions included are Cam Jansen, Gironimo Stilton, and The Boxcar Children (see complete list below), which all require students to work with different information and complete extended responses linked to their selected edition.
This Performance Task could be completed for one level (explained below) in one lesson only or could be extended to make a short writing unit across a week.
What’s included in this Performance Task:
* Level 1 Activity
– Laying the foundation through reading. Students start by annotating and analyzing a text that carefully models the text type and answering standards aligned reading questions.
* Level 2 Activity
– Starting to write. Students use what they have learned so far to complete a short piece of writing or research or plan for their extended writing piece.
* Challenge Activity
– Bring on the collaboration! Fun and engaging speaking and listening activities through authentic simulations lead students toward their final piece of extended writing.
* Finale Activities
– Finish up. Each Performance Task ends with five options for extended writing of the same text type within the real-world context. Finale options reach Webb's Depth of Knowledge levels 3-4.
* Answer Key & Rubrics
– All Performance Tasks come with an answer key and rubrics, including grading guidance for teachers.
* Job Background
– Each Performance Task enables students to picture themselves in a real world career. Information about the career is given, including entry-level education, median pay, and job outlook.
- Where new domain-specific vocabulary is used, a student-friendly glossary is included.
This set comes with both teacher and student print-outs. Teacher print-outs include a teacher guide, answer key and rubrics.
Thanks and be sure to check out our other ELA Performance Tasks for 3rd-5th grade!
There’s also a math equivalent of this Performance Task to download!
NOTE: The full list of editions included is: A Series of Unfortunate Events, Cam Jansen, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Gironimo Stilton, Goosebumps, Ivy & Bean, Little House on the Prairie, The 39 Clues, The Boxcar Children, The Secrets of Droon.
Get in touch if you would like to see other book series covered by this Performance Task.