Bundle of 13 editions of Sales & Tales Performance Task for 5th grade
In the Sales & Tales Performance Task, students use real data on book sales and downloads of their favorite book to practice multi-digit multiplication and extend into adding and subtracting fractions in an engaging, real world context. Students take on the role of a money managers and also learn how money from books is distributed between authors, agents and publishers in the real world, as well as some of the vocabulary used in this industry.
13 different editions or versions of this Performance Task are included so students can work with the edition they are most interested in, or an appropriate edition can be chosen for the class. Some of the editions included are Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel, The Maze Runner, and Wonder (see full list below), which all require students to work with different real data.
This Performance Task could be completed for one level (explained below) in one lesson only or could be extended with the other levels across 2-3 lessons.
What’s included in this Performance Task:
* Teacher Guide
– Get an overview of the Performance Task, including helpful suggestions for use and the skills and standards alignment.
* Level 1 Activity
– Laying the foundation. Students start by practicing a key skill matched to a math standard. This portion of the lesson could be used alone to practice this skill.
* Level 2 Activity
– Adding some complexity. Students integrate a different skill or set of skills which they apply to the context of the task.
* Challenge Activity
– Bring on the critical thinking! Students are stretched to reason with math and data to come to conclusions working at Webb's Depth of Knowledge levels 3-4. They might work in groups or this could be used as an extension activity.
* Finale Activities
– Extend the learning. Each Performance Task also includes a selection of options to extend the math lesson into another subject (usually ELA).
* Complete Answer Key
– All Performance Tasks come with a complete answer key for all activities.
* Job Background
– Each Performance Task enables students to picture themselves in a real world career. Information about the career is given, including entry-level education, median pay, and job outlook.
- Where new domain-specific vocabulary is used, a student-friendly glossary is included.
This set comes with both teacher and student print-outs. Teacher print-outs include a teacher guide and answer key.
Thanks and be sure to check out our other math Performance Tasks for 3rd-5th grade!
There’s also a free ELA equivalent of this Performance Task to download!
NOTE: The full list of editions included is: Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Hard Luck, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Third Wheel, Divergent, Tales from a Not So Happy Heartbreaker, The Mark of Athena, House of Night Revealed, I-Funny A Middle School Story, Percy Jackson The Last Olympian, The Hunger Games, The Infernal Devices: Clockwork Princess, The Kane Chronicles: The Serpent's Shadow, The Maze Runner, Wonder.
Get in touch if you would like to see other books covered by this Performance Task.