Bundle of 8 editions of Crunch the Calories Real World Performance Task for 7th grade
In the Crunch the Calories Performance Task, students use real information about their favorite fast casual restaurant to practice narrative reading and writing in an engaging, real world context. Students take on the role of a nutritionist and write a food journal to demonstrate how to make healthy choices when eating out at a restaurant.
They evaluate various menu options and suggest the best options for different scenarios and prepare samples from their own food journal to show how their views on health have evolved. They then conduct a focus group with teenagers to better understand the challenges to healthy eating before writing their own final food journal. The task ends with the opportunity to develop narrative writing in several ways.
Eight different editions or versions of this Performance Task are included so students can work with the edition they are most interested in, or an appropriate edition can be chosen for the class. Some of the editions included are Burger King, Carls Jr., and Taco Bell (see complete list below), which all require students to work with different information and complete extended responses linked to their selected edition.
This Performance Task could be completed for one level (explained below) in one lesson only or could be extended to make a short writing unit across a week.
What’s included in this Performance Task:
* Level 1 Activity
– Laying the foundation through reading. Students start by annotating and analyzing a text that carefully models the text type and answering standards aligned reading questions.
* Level 2 Activity
– Starting to write. Students use what they have learned so far to complete a short piece of writing or research or plan for their extended writing piece.
* Challenge Activity
– Bring on the collaboration! Fun and engaging speaking and listening activities through authentic simulations lead students toward their final piece of extended writing.
* Finale Activities
– Finish up. Each Performance Task ends with five options for extended writing of the same text type within the real-world context. Finale options reach Webb's Depth of Knowledge levels 3-4.
* Answer Key & Rubrics
– All Performance Tasks come with an answer key and rubrics, including grading guidance for teachers.
* Job Background
– Each Performance Task enables students to picture themselves in a real world career. Information about the career is given, including entry-level education, median pay, and job outlook.
- Where new domain-specific vocabulary is used, a student-friendly glossary is included.
This set comes with both teacher and student print-outs. Teacher print-outs include a teacher guide, answer key and rubrics.
Thanks and be sure to check out our other ELA Performance Tasks for 6th-8th grade!
There’s also a math equivalent of this Performance Task to download!
NOTE: The full list of editions included is: Burger King, Carls Jr., Chick-Fil-A, Dairy Queen, Jack in the Box, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Wendy's.
Get in touch if you would like to see other fast casual restaurants covered by this Performance Task.