Bundle of 13 editions of Viral Video Real World Performance Task for 9th-10th grade
In the Viral Video Performance Task, students use real information about their favorite music artist to practice argument reading and writing in an engaging, real world context. Students take on the role of a marketing manager for the artist and argue for the artist to get a better deal on their YouTube advertising revenue.
They read other argument texts and analyze information and stats around YouTube. They then meet with YouTube to negotiate the share of revenue, before writing their final formal proposal. The task ends with the opportunity to develop argument writing in several ways.
13 different editions or versions of this Performance Task are included so students can work with the edition they are most interested in, or an appropriate edition can be chosen for the class. Some of the editions included are Beyoncé, Bruno Mars, and Taylor Swift (see complete list below), which all require students to work with different information and complete extended responses linked to their selected edition.
This Performance Task could be completed for one level (explained below) in one lesson only or could be extended to make a short writing unit across a week.
What’s included in this Performance Task:
* Level 1 Activity
– Laying the foundation through reading. Students start by annotating and analyzing a text that carefully models the text type and answering standards aligned reading questions.
* Level 2 Activity
– Starting to write. Students use what they have learned so far to complete a short piece of writing or research or plan for their extended writing piece.
* Challenge Activity
– Bring on the collaboration! Fun and engaging speaking and listening activities through authentic simulations lead students toward their final piece of extended writing.
* Finale Activities
– Finish up. Each Performance Task ends with five options for extended writing of the same text type within the real-world context. Finale options reach Webb's Depth of Knowledge levels 3-4.
* Answer Key & Rubrics
– All Performance Tasks come with an answer key and rubrics, including grading guidance for teachers.
* Job Background
– Each Performance Task enables students to picture themselves in a real world career. Information about the career is given, including entry-level education, median pay, and job outlook.
- Where new domain-specific vocabulary is used, a student-friendly glossary is included.
This set comes with both teacher and student print-outs. Teacher print-outs include a teacher guide, answer key and rubrics.
Thanks and be sure to check out our other ELA Performance Tasks for high school!
There’s also a math equivalent of this Performance Task to download!
NOTE: The full list of editions included is: Beyoncé, Blake Shelton, Bruno Mars, Justin Bieber, Justin Timberlake, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, One Direction, Pharrell Williams, Rihanna, Selena Gomez, Shakira, Taylor Swift.
Get in touch if you would like to see other music artists covered by this Performance Task.