Student excitement around holidays can leave teachers headed into break feeling a little worn down!
Keep your students actively engaged, writing, and PRODUCTIVELY TALKING with real-life legal cases!
This thinkLaw Task Card Activity uses FIVE real-life legal cases:
- A pie company sues a rival pie company that sent a SPY into their factory
- A prisoner sues the prison when he finds out that there is turkey in the turkey stuffing
- A woman sues her grocery store employer for violating her freedom of religion when they require her to work the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving
- A woman sues QVS for a faulty turkey pan
- Department stores find themselves as defendants when their Black Friday ads say that the "original price" of items are MUCH higher than product prices have ever been listed
Students will work in small groups to analyze the cases, examine evidence, and ask questions. Each group member will be assigned a job and explicitly explained their task. Students will conclude by selecting a case and writing a persuasive paragraph using the thinkLaw DRAAW+C framework as a guide!
PLUS A SECOND SET OF LESSONS!
We all know the holidays bring drama. And who loves drama more than teenagers?
Talking Turkey offers FIVE Persuasive writing activities that are perfect for those two short days before Thanksgiving break.
Students analyze real world lawsuits
- A woman chokes on a turkey bone during Thanksgiving dinner
- A turkey flies into a windshield causing a car crash and lawsuit
- A man goes turkey hunting. But shoots another hunter.
- Two companies make and sell FAKE wishbones. Who has the right?
- A man claims he is knocked out by a frozen turkey at Walmart
You can't make this up!
Student analyze the facts and then use the DRAAW + C writing framework used in law schools across the country to write their argument. Who should win? What is the rule? What will both sides argue? How will this decision affect the world?
Give yourself a break! Talking Turkey requires LITTLE TO NO TEACHER PREP!
- Teacher Guide
- PowerPoint presentation that covers all five lessons
- DRAAW+C Writing Printable
- Student Sheets- available as Word Documents and Editable PDFS
- Pre-made Braincandy Questions (Braincandy is a FREE online platform that allows students to take polls and share responses in real time)
- 60 Student Task Cards
All resources are available for download AND on Google docs!
Or purchase each lesson individually!