Products in this Bundle (3)
Also included in
- Are you new to American Literature or tired of boring worksheets? Engage students in real-world learning connections and critical thinking with these lessons and activities for your American Literature Curriculum. This growing bundle is organized thematically and includes a variety of lessons that m$104.99$208.23Save $103.24
With the Common Core’s emphasis on nonfiction texts, classic American authors, and writing, this bundle meets many needs. In these three Inspired Writing lessons, students use mentor texts as models for their own authentic writing.
Furthermore, the lessons guide students through close readings of texts that vary by genre, time period, and author. Texts include the following: excerpt from Poor Richard’s Almanack by Benjamin Franklin, "The Gettysburg Address" by Abraham Lincoln, and "I’ve Been to the Mountaintop" by Martin Luther King, Jr. Additionally, the lessons provide focus on several literary devices including aphorisms, parallel structures, and allusions.
These lessons incorporate all strands of the Common Core English Language Arts (ELA) Anchor Standards.
This 55-page Zip File with PDF files and a Power-Point Presentation includes the following:
explicit lesson plans with identified Common Core Anchor Standards
- pre-reading guides
- aphorism handouts
- recommended evaluation criteria
- aphorism writing assignment
- sample aphorisms
- photos of teacher and students examples
- seven-slide virtual field trip to memorials (PowerPoint)
- virtual field trip graphic organizer
- contextual reading guides
- text of "The Gettysburg Address"
- planning a speech graphic organizer
- memorial and speech assignments with suggested evaluation criteria
- peer review handouts
- student memorial examples
- student speech example
- understanding allusions handouts
- vocabulary activity
- link to "I’ve Been to the Mountaintop" speech online
- analyzing political speeches graphic organizer
- prewriting handout
- keys (including detailed responses for all of the activities)
If preferred, find each lesson available separately, too!
Here are additional Inspired Writing Lessons you may find useful:
Meaningful and Memorable English Language Arts by © OCBeachTeacher
All rights reserved by author.
Limited to use by purchaser only.
Group licenses available.
Not for public display.