Also included in
- Start the year off right with these back-to-school essentials that every Grade 1-2 teacher needs! With over 2100 pages, this bundle features 20 morning meeting, math, and poetry resources that you can use in your classroom everyday. This bundle includes: 10 Monthly Morning Meeting PacketsStrength$87.00$140.00Save $53.00
Challenge your students with open-ended math questions for journals and do-nows with this yearlong bundle for first and second grade. The set includes : January, February, March, April, May, June/July/August Combined Packet, September, October, November and December. Save $15 with this bundle which gets you more than 3 free months! (Price will be going up soon.)
This bundle includes the monthly packets and units to make the pages you need easier to find. This bundles focuses on:
- First Grade Number Sense
- Second Grade Number Sense (Advice: Pick from BOTH grade levels to differentiate)
- Multiplication Concepts
- Place Value
- Data Analysis
Over the last few years, I’ve made the switch to ALL Open-Ended Journal prompts. Why? Because it allows the kids to dig deeper and forces them to convey stronger mathematical reasoning. I see more “behind the scenes” thinking going on which is invaluable to me. With open-ended questions, there are multiple solutions.
Read more about this approach on my blog (and grab some freebies, too!)
- Old questions: There are 10 cookies. 7 are chocolate chip. How many are sugar? (There is only ONE answer.)
- Open-ended way: There are 10 cookies. Some are sugar and some are chocolate chip. How many of each could I have? (There are SEVERAL answers. Kids can make/show MANY combinations.)
My original intent was to place these in the back of the kids’ poetry binders. But that still involved passing out papers and binders opening and closing, which can be a lot of work! So, I now run them off and create a little monthly packet. These go home at the end of the month. I only have 15-18 problems in my packets and use the rest for DO-NOWS that go home that day. These can also be used for homework.
- Can be folded in half and glued in notebooks if that's what you are currently using.
- I offer lower/higher numbers for some problems so you can differentiate.
- All problems have lots of possible answers so I make it clear to kids that I want to see several possible answers. It is expected. Seeing what’s NOT there is just as telling as seeing what is there.
- Once you switch over to Open-Ended, you'll never want the standard prompts again. I promise!
Let's keep in touch!
☀️ Follow me on Instagram