PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This 28 page booklet has information about butterflies and caterpillars including life cycle worksheet, the teaching tips, examples, and step-by-step drawing instructions.
Butterflies are so fun to watch and I love fuzzy caterpillars. All caterpillars are fun to watch unless they are on your tomato plants. A caterpillar can devour a leaf or plant over night. They only have one job and that is to eat.
This lesson also includes:
This drawing packet contains National Core Art Standards
Anchor Standard 2: Create personally satisfying artwork using a variety of artistic processes and materials.
Anchor Standard 3: Elaborate visual information by adding details in an artwork to enhance emerging meaning.
Anchor Standard 8: Interpret art by analyzing use of media to create subject matter, characteristics of form, and mood.
2 day project (45 minutes a day)
Grades K-3rd (Approximately 45 minutes)
• Learn to draw a caterpillar.
• Learn the life cycle of a caterpillar and butterfly.
• Use lines, shapes and patterns to create a cute whimsical caterpillar painting.
• Discuss stages of life for a caterpillar
• Read The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle.
• Learn what caterpillars eat.
• Practice fine motor skills by drawing tracing and erasing
• 9” x 12” or 12” x 18”white construction or watercolor paper
• Fine-point black permanent markers
• Washable markers
• Watercolor Paint
• Salt (optional)
People who like this lesson also like:
You may :
• Use this item for your own personal use.
• Use this item for your own classroom and/or students.
• Copy this item for use in your classroom by your students.
You may not:
• Give this item to others, including other teachers.
• Copy this item for use by others.
• Post this item on a website, including a personal website, classroom website, or district website.
This is all Copyrighted material. Copyright © 2010