Bundled Set: Chinese New Year Rhythm Relay & Trivia
This super fun lesson is an excellent way to assess your students' recognition of rhythm and support aural development while interjecting Chinese New Year trivia! As always, this activity has been tested in my own K-5 music classroom. My students had such a blast playing this! See below for more information about how I used this in my classroom.
The files include:
• 4 pages of primary level rhythm cards, 5 cards per page, for a total of 20 primary rhythm cards
• 4 pages of secondary level rhythm cards, 5 cards per page, for a total of 20 secondary rhythm cards
• Question # Slides
• Question Slides
• Multiple Choice Slides
• Answer Slides
This product comes as a PDF file. Enjoy!
HOW I USED IT:
1) I divided my students into 4 teams, and we sat in a rectangular shape.
2) I placed the rhythm cards in the middle and gave students directions explaining good sportsmanship, card handling, and that there was one correct rhythm card in the pile (you could, of course, create as many sets as you'd like and have each team bring back the correct card). I used fewer cards for the lowest two grade levels so there weren't as many choices for them to sift through.
3) I chanted or played the requested rhythm, and students raced to the middle to find the correct card, holding up what they thought was correct until the correct answer was found.
4) The found rhythm was returned to the pile, and play continued.
5) Since only one team at a time could score in the rhythm round (again, just the way we played it. You could, of course, allow each team to score.), we used the trivia round to provide an opportunity for all teams to score. They held up the finger(s) that corresponded to their answer choice (1, 2, or 3), and the majority ruled each team's answer.
This game worked extremely well for ALL grades!