This is a phonics game using the 26 letters of the alphabet. It contains a treasure chest and trash can / waste bin picture as well as 153 coins. Some of the coins have real words on and some have nonsense words on. They are split into groups according to the Letters and Sounds phonics programme.
To practise blending together phonemes to make words.
1. Put a set of coins into a tray of sand in the middle of the table. Lay out the treasure chest and waste bin pictures.
2. Ask the first child to pick a coin out of the sand and read the word on it. Help them to sound out and blend the word as necessary.
3. Ask the child if it is a real word or a nonsense word.
4. The child puts the coin into the treasure chest (if it is real) or the waste bin / trash can (if it is nonsense).
5. Repeat the process for each child in the group.
If the children are quite confident, they can all take their coins at the same time and read the words and sort the coins.
I hope that this resource is what you are looking for and that you visit my store again soon.