This activity requires students to conduct research on common business related careers. I use this in my Introduction to Business & Marketing course. When I use this assignment I usually break it up into a few days of class.
With Part 1 & Part 2 I show The Profit: Key Lime Pie episode. The objectives for the class period are:
• Examine the strengths and weaknesses of a business.
• Discuss marketing strategy and how a business can improve their strategy.
• Explore possible career options in the business, management, and administration career cluster.
• Explore possible career options in marketing, sales, & service career cluster.
The day we complete Part 3 & 4 I show Titans, the episode on Jack Welch. The objectives this class period are:
• Discuss the role of upper level management in an organization.
• Research upper level management leadership.
The activity included uses the website: http://www.iseek.org/careers/clusters.html
The standard that is covered in this activity is:
Explore careers in each of the Business Management & Administration, Finance, and Marketing pathways. For each of these career clusters, research the job descriptions and typical activities of major professions such as chief executive officer, accountant, real estate agent, advertising specialist, branch manager, wealth management/trust officer, and more. Produce a career pathways chart or other graphic detailing the aptitudes and training required for careers of interest. For example, outline the typical skills and training required to become a human relations manager, including personal aptitudes, postsecondary credentials, and licensing.