A set of worksheets and activities based on the poem by Merrill Glass. This poem deals with the themes of war, love, and regret.
The activities / worksheets can be used with a wide level of ages and abilities including EAL learners. I use this poem a lot with SN students who need to study a poem for the theme of war.
The pack consists of
1. The text of the poem.
2. Cloze Test. A simple prose summary of the poem in "fill in the blanks" format. There is a word bank to assist students.
3. Information gathering questions. The first questions are basic fact-finding. These are designed to promote better understanding of the text of the poem. Later questions focus on theme, form, and developing a response to the poem.
4. A short punctuation exercise.
5. Vocabulary Matching exercise, based on words in the poem.
6. Creative writing assignments. Higher order tasks offer students the opportunity to be creative, and to demonstrate a deeper understanding of the poem. Students are asked to write in different formats (diary entry, interview, newspaper article, speech, short story, letter/email). There are also two ideas for research projects or presentations.
7. Word search puzzle based on words from the poem.
8. Crossword puzzle based on words from the poem.
This is a 15 page Word document (including the solutions to all activities). As a Word document, you can edit to suit your class.
This is the type of unit that I would give to a substitute teacher to cover a week's absence, or I would use to fill a week when it's close to the end of term, and other bigger units of work have been completed.
This is a lovely poem. Even though it's sad, most students seem to enjoy it.