This 51 page download includes the following activities for your classroom:
* Mini-research foldables - There are 11 butterflies included: Monarch, Painted Lady, Tiger Swallowtail, Black Swallowtail, Zebra Swallowtail, Blue Morpho, California Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Pearl Crescent, Queen, and Mourning Cloak. Students will use books or the Internet to complete the booklet. Each booklet follows the same format - Its scientific name is ..., It can be found in ..., Here are 2 facts..., This is a drawing of...
* Venn diagram with lines for students to compare two different butterflies
* Life cycle of a butterfly - cycle with 4 boxes describing each stage. The next page has pictures of each stage to glue onto cycle. (The following page has pictures and labels)
* "Life Cycle of a Butterfly" - I wrote this non-fiction article along with 4 questions for students to answer
* Life Cycle of a Butterfly - Students will make a book. Pages included are cover, egg, caterpillar, chrysalis, butterfly. I have also included pages with the words larva, pupa, adult as well as blank pages for students to label on their own.
* Parts of a butterfly - 8 body parts are defined
* 2 diagrams for students to label some body parts
* "Butterfly or Moth?" - I wrote this non-fiction article along with 4 questions for students to answer
* Venn diagrams (one with lines, one without) for students to compare butterflies and moths
* Butterfly ABC Order - 12 word cards with pictures and a recording sheet
* Butterfly graphic organizer and writing paper (primary and intermediate lines)
* Butterfly fact and opinion and key
* Butterfly word search and key
* Butterfly test (3 pages) and key
I created this unit for my 2nd graders, but I think it could be used with 1st or 3rd graders as well.