Since caterpillars are very hungry, I designed “Mr. Munch” as a quick, easy and super-fun way to review all sorts of standards!
- “This product is full of so many options and variations which makes it great for any library or classroom. Great product!”
- “Excellent resource. The students loved "feeding" the caterpillar.”
- “Amazing!” “My students loved the activities!”
- “Great resource and lots of fun.”
“My caterpillar’s hungry. His name is Mr. Munch. He likes to eat all sorts of things, especially for lunch”. Is the poster poem I start the lesson with.
After reading the story, I pass out the life cycle of a butterfly cards, as well as the food cards to my students.
My Y5s absolutely love sequencing and retelling the story “feeding” Mr. Munch, as they drop the cards into his “mouth” in the appropriate order.
Simply attach the caterpillar pattern to the top of a Kleenex box, or large, Zip Lock Baggie.
There are 2 caterpillar head options, with 3 size choices. I included a small, 4-on-a-page size, so students can make their own very hungry caterpillar.
This is an inexpensive and fun way for them to practice reading words to a classmate or reading buddy.
Each time they play, run off a different set of word cards on a different color paper.
In the end they’ll have a Baggie full of words that they can read, and a nifty activity to take home for more practice during the summer.
They can also pull X amount of cards from their caterpillar’s “belly” to do the various “word-apillar” worksheets with.
In addition to “feeding” the caterpillar, you can use the cards in a ton of other ways.
The versatility of the cards makes them adaptable for games, centers, and assessing.
I’ve included a tip list of ideas, including my students’ favorite “Kaboom” game, plus 15 worksheets”, which are perfect for Daily 5, table top lessons, a sub folder, early finishers, or homework.
Besides the cards that directly relate to the story (life cycle & food) I’ve also included:
* A set of days of the week cards
* Butterfly color cards, with matching color words
* 2D shape cards, with matching shape words, with 13 options.
* Time to the hour and half hour analog clock cards, with a blank set to program with additional times.
* Alphabet cards showing both upper & lowercase letters, as well as separate cards for each.
* Number word cards from 0-22
* Number cards from 0-140, with a blank set of caterpillar cards to program with more numbers, as well as an odd & even sorting mat.
* Math symbol cards(+ — = < > ), so children can make equations
* A set of ordinal number food cards
* Mini word cards for ALL of the Dolch Each set has its own graphic so they are easy to sort.
* 570 mini, long & short vowel word cards (60 on 1 page) with a sorting mat and sorting cup game.
* Word family cards for 22 word families, with blanks to program more. Plus…
*“The Caterpillar Creeps” game, plus ...
* Each set of cards comes with a matching “Itty Bitty” booklet.
It took almost a month of work to complete this packet, but I felt it was worth the time, as the versatility makes this something you can do throughout the year, hauling out your very hungry caterpillar anytime you want to reinforce and practice all sorts of things.
The huge variety of activities also makes it easy for you to diversify your lessons.
I’m Diane from Teach With Me, hoping you find this packet as useful and fun as I do.
Don’t forget that all of my new products are 40% off for 48 hours.
Click this LINK to follow my shop & you'll be notified of these huge savings.