Butterfly Life Cycle - Comprehensive Unit:
Kids love live animals and this unit includes life cycle photographs of real butterflies and caterpillars. The PowerPoint presentation introduces children to the metamorphosis changes of swallowtail and monarch butterflies. The photographs in this unit are from an award winning photographer.
PowerPoint introduction to a butterfly's life cycle (featuring real photos). We've also included additional information and cool facts about butterflies. 28 pages.
Bulletin Board/Student Center - 7 full page color photos and information related to a swallowtail butterfly's life cycle.
Bulletin Board/Student Center - 6 full page color photos with more information about butterflies.
• How Do Caterpillars Protect Themselves
• Butterfly Parts
• Caterpillar Parts
• Butterfly Body and Senses
• Butterfly and Moth Varieties
• Cool Butterfly Facts
• Complete the Life Cycle - Students cut out pictures and place them in the correct order for the butterfly's life cycle.
• Butterfly Life Cycle Sentences - Students use the correct word to complete sentences.
• My Butterfly Book - Students are given their own butterfly book. They are asked to complete various activities in their book.
• Becoming a Butterfly Sentences - Students observe some photographs of butterflies and describe what is happening in the photos.
• Butterfly True or False - Students indicate whether statements are true or false.
• Butterfly Facts - The teacher provides the pupils with student center information for this activity (included). Students complete a worksheet about what they learned.
• Butterfly Labels and Caterpillar Labels - Students practice labeling animal parts on butterfly and caterpillar photographs.
• Butterfly Story - Students write a story about the butterfly's life cycle using some key words.
• Keeping Butterflies - Comprehensive teacher resource on how to collect and care for butterfly caterpillars and chrysalises. Colored and gray scale versions.
• Butterfly Activity - Students observe an adult butterfly emerging and answer questions.
• Caterpillar Activity - Students observe a caterpillar and answer questions.
• Caterpillar Activity and Graphing - Students do an activity about butterflies and answer questions and make a bar graph of their results.
From The Developer:
As teachers we know how much children are fascinated with real animals. We used photographs of live critters rather than drawings or clipart for this presentation. We have teaching backgrounds and authored several dozen children's books related to using critters in the classroom. We are using our experience and our biology background to provide information about keeping butterfly eggs, caterpillars and chrysalises in the classroom.
Standards for Science and Math including:
• Life cycles and adaptations of living things to their environment.
• Scientific investigations and collecting data.
• Collecting data using bar graphs.
• Help students develop informational science literacy skills.
• Presents key science content and vocabulary found on most state tests.
Copyright © Galloping Turtle Books - All Rights Reserved. The purchase of this unit, including the individual parts, are for one teacher only. Other teachers or classrooms must purchase their own individual license. All the individual elements are copyrighted and not in the public domain. Rights do not allow any publication of any parts of the work or uploading to the school website or the internet in any form.
For More Educational Resources:
We are always looking for honest comments and ratings so we can improve our products. You also get earned credits for discounts on future TPT purchases when you leave both a comment and a rating.