Kids love live animals and this unit includes life cycle photographs of real butterflies and caterpillars. The PowerPoint presentation introduces children to the metamorphosis changes of swallowtail and monarch butterflies. The photographs in this unit are from an award winning photographer.
PowerPoint introduction to a butterfly's life cycle (featuring real photos). We've also included additional information and cool facts about butterflies. 35 pages.
Bulletin Board/Student Center - 7 full page color photos and information related to a swallowtail butterfly's life cycle.
Bulletin Board/Student Center - 6 full page color photos with more information about butterflies.
• Butterfly Parts
• Caterpillar Parts
• Butterfly Body and Senses
• Cool Butterfly Facts
• How Do Caterpillars Protect Themselves
• Color My Butterfly - Students color a butterfly drawing.
• Complete the Life Cycle - Students cut out pictures and place them in the correct order for the butterfly's life cycle.
• My Butterfly Book - Students are given their own butterfly book. They are asked to complete various activities in their book.
• My Butterfly Notebook - Students observe a butterfly and make observations about the insect.
• Caterpillars are Cool - Students are given a tri-fold with caterpillar facts and photographs. The student colors a caterpillar drawing and names the caterpillar.
• Butterfly Sentences - Teacher reads sentences about the butterfly's life cycle. Students writes the correct word for a blank space in each sentence.
• Butterfly Labels and Caterpillar Labels - Students practice labeling animal parts on butterfly and caterpillar photographs.
• Keeping Butterflies - Comprehensive teacher resource on how to collect and care for butterfly caterpillars and chrysalises. Colored and gray scale versions.
• Butterfly Activity - Students observe an adult butterfly emerging and answer questions.
• Caterpillar Activity - Students observe a live caterpillar and answer questions.
From The Developer:
As teachers we know how much children are fascinated with real animals. We used photographs of live critters rather than drawings or clip art for this presentation. We have teaching backgrounds and authored several dozen children's books related to using critters in the classroom. We are using our experience and our biology background to provide information about keeping butterfly eggs, caterpillars and chrysalises in the classroom.
Standards for science including
• Life cycles and adaptations of living things to their environment.
• Help students develop informational science literacy skills.
• Presents key science content and vocabulary found on most state tests.
Copyright © Galloping Turtle Books - All Rights Reserved. The purchase of this unit, including the individual parts, is for one teacher only. Other teachers or classrooms must purchase their own individual license. All the individual elements are copyrighted and not in the public domain. Rights do not allow any publication of any parts of the work or uploading to the school website or the internet in any form.
For More Educational Resources:
We are always looking for honest comments and ratings so we can improve our products. You also get earned credits for discounts on future TPT purchases when you leave both a comment and a rating.