Spring is in the air! When I was in the classroom, this was the time of year when we studied plant and butterfly lifecycles. My students loved having butterflies in the classroom and releasing them once they emerged from their chrysalis. Such a fun experience!
This resource is intended to help those of you reading the Hungry Caterpillar and studying butterflies.
Just want the cut-and-paste lifecycle worksheet? It's offered as a store freebie!! :) Click here to jump to the cut-and-paste FREEBIE
* Butterfly lifecycle cut-and-paste (3 options) - also available as a FREE download!
* Butterfly reader / little book about the lifecycle (print, staple, cut down the middle to create two books per set printed)
* Hungry Caterpillar Subtraction book (print, stable, cut down the middle to create two books per set printed) - the pages follow the same format, great for pre or emergent readers! "The hungry caterpillar found _ apples. He ate _ of them. How many are left? Students will choose numbers for the blanks. There is space for them to draw pictures to show their work and for them to write a matching equation. (the book includes 17 pages including the cover page, but you can pick and choose how many and in which order you wish to use them).
* A large caterpillar/leaf word problem. Choose color (for teacher model) or black and white. Students circle the picture and word to show what their caterpillar found, fill in the blanks to show how many he ate, and then write their number sentence on a separate blank number sentence frame. They will cut and paste the item their caterpillar found, showing the number he ate by using the pictures of the item with holes in them. This requires some thought for your students and thus can be a little challenging. Perfect for this time of the school year!! Please see the thumbnail to see a student completing this project for clarification as it's sometimes hard to put it into words.
* Word wall or pocket chart cards showing the words: eggs, hatch, caterpillar, chrysalis, and butterfly in REAL PICTURES!! (color only)
* Word wall or pocket chart cards showing the words mentioned above, with clip art, as well as food words from the Hungry Caterpillar story. Display the cards for use during writing.
* Butterfly themed primary lined writing paper (2 options - one has a built-in student rubric!).
As always, if you need some small change to better suit your needs please email me. I am happy to help.
Feedback and follows are appreciated!