Butterfly lifecycle unit including 25 flashcards with real photographs, and a printable activity book.
3 large (7"x10") cards for "caterpillar," "cocoon," and "butterfly." Each with one photograph and the printed name
22 small (3"x3") cards with colorful photographs of caterpillars, butterflies and cocoons without any text.
Activity Book (7 pgs.) works on the following skills:
-tracing and writing practice with shapes and letters
-shape identification (circle, triangle, oval)
-recording simple data (e.g. "how many days as a caterpillar?") and developing observational skills
• Sorting- sort small cards into three categories (butterfly, cocoon, caterpillar) using the large cards as a sorting mats to represent categories
• Similarities and differences- pick 2 cards, identify 1,2,3… things that are similar about the 2 (color, size, stage in life cycle, etc)
• Sequence butterfly lifecycle from caterpillar to butterfly using small cards- discuss what happens in-between
• Matching- use 2 copies of each small card, have student match
• Games- go fish and memory
2. Butterfly book (2 options for use):
• Print out and staple together pages to create a take home book for each student at the end of the unit
• Laminate pages and re-use with multiple students using a dry erase marker.
[The Butterfly Book is intended to be used while watching live caterpillars turn into butterflies. However, the included flashcards
and supplemental books and videos about the butterfly lifecycle
can easily be substituted.]
To prepare flashcards:
1. Cut out flashcards (3 large and 22 small) along black lined edge to form cards.
2. Laminate flashcards
**To the best of my knowledge, all photographs are from the public domain and are intended to be used for educational purposes only**