Everything you will need to set up your CAFE board for 2nd Grade for Back to School or the Beginning of Year. This set is black and white polka dots and has everything you'll need for the year. It includes a title poster for the top of your board, 4 Header cards (C, A, F, E), and 38 strategy cards with visuals for you to teach your kiddos how to use the strategies to help them become better readers and writers.
Be sure to look at the preview for a more detailed look at what's included in this packet.
Need a CAFE Board for 2nd Grade in SPANISH?
CAFE Board for 2nd Grade IN SPANISH - Board Set - includes Strategy Cards
The strategy cards are common core aligned, and each strategy card is labeled with C, A, F, or E on the bottom right corner to keep you organized. When you need to teach a strategy, simply look for the letter you're teaching and grab a strategy card - teach it to the kiddos, then put it up on your beautiful CAFE bulletin board.
You'll be surprised at how often your kiddos will refer to the CAFE board when they're reading throughout the day. I know my kiddos sure do!
The header cards included are:
Literacy CAFE Menu (title card for your bulletin board)
Comprehension (title card)
Accuracy (title card)
Fluency (title card)
Expand Vocabulary (title card)
Strategy cards included are:
- Use prior knowledge to connect with text
- Make and adjust predictions; use text to confirm
- Infer and support with evidence
- Make a picture or mental image
- Monitor and fix up: check for understanding/back up and reread
- Ask questions throughout the reading process
- Use text features (titles, headings, captions, graphic features)
- Summarize text; include sequence of main events
- Use main idea and supporting details to determine importance
- Determine and analyze author's purpose and support with text
- Recognize literacy elements (genre, plot, character, setting, problem/resolution, theme)
- Recognize and explain cause-and-effect relationships
- Compare and contrast within and between text
- Abundant easy reading
- Look carefully at letters and words
- Cross checking...do the pictures and/or words look right? Do they sound right? Do they make sense? - Cross Check Crocodile
- Flip the sound - Flippy Dolphin
- Use the pictures...do the words and pictures match? - Eagle Eye
- Use beginning and ending sounds - Lips the Fish
- Blend sounds; stretch and reread - Stretchy Snake
- Chunk letters and sounds together - Chunky Monkey
- Skip the word, then come back - Skippy Frog
- Trade a word/guess a word that makes sense - Tryin' Lion
- Recognize words at sight
- Voracious reading
- Read appropriate-level texts that are a good fit
- Reread text
- Practice common sight words and high-frequency words
- Adjust and apply different reading rates to match text
- Use punctuation to enhance phrasing and prosody (end marks, commas, etc.) - Punctuation Pig
- Read text as the author would say it, conveying the meaning or feeling
Expand Vocabulary -
- Voracious reading
- Tune in to interesting words and use new vocabulary in speaking and writing
- Use prior knowledge and context to predict and confirm meaning
- Use pictures, illustrations, and diagrams
- Use word parts to determine the meaning of words (prefixes, suffixes, origins, abbreviations, etc.)
- Ask someone to define the word for you
- Use dictionaries, thesauruses, and glossaries as tools
Need READING STRATEGIES posters and bookmarks?
Reading Strategies Posters & Bookmarks
Need a CAFE Board for 1st Grade?
CAFE Board for 1st Grade - Bulletin Board Set - includes Strategy Cards
Need a CAFE Board for Kindergarten?
CAFE Board for Kindergarten - Bulletin Board Set - includes Strategy Cards
You may also like these literacy resources:
Reading Comprehension Stories and Questions: Short Vowel Families- Differentiated
Reading Comprehension Stories & Questions:Long Vowel Families-Differentiated
Looking for some Daily 5 goodies for your classroom? Check these out:)
Literacy (EDITABLE) Task Card BUNDLE - Great for Daily 5
Read to Self Task Cards - editable - Great for Daily 5 and Centers
Listening Center Task Cards - editable - great for Daily 5 and Centers
Writing (Work on Writing) Task Cards - editable - great for Daily 5 and Centers
Buddy Reading Task Cards - editable - great for Daily 5 and Centers
Word Work Task Cards - EDITABLE - great for Daily 5 and Centers
I'm always working on fun stuff and freebies, so please click the green star at the top of the page (by my name) to follow my store so that you can be notified when new resources and freebies are available.
Please also remember to leave me some feedback since that's how I know what my customers like:) You can complete the feedback form on your "my purchases" page....and extra bonus - you earn points to make your next purchase cheaper just by completing the feedback form! Yeay!!!