5th Grade CCGPS Standards Addressed:
• MCC5.NBT.1 Recognize that in a multi-digit number, a digit in one place represents 10 times as much as it represents in the place to its right and 1/10 of what it represents in the place to its left.
• MCC5.NBT.2 Explain patterns in the number of zeros of the product when multiplying a number by powers of 10, and explain patterns in the placement of the decimal point when a decimal is multiplied or divided by a power of 10. Use whole-number exponents to denote powers of 10.
• MCC5.NBT.3 Read, write, and compare decimals to thousandths.
• MCC5.NBT.4 Use place value understanding to round decimals to any place
• MCC5.NBT.7 Add and subtract decimals to hundredths, using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction; relate the strategy to a written method and explain the reasoning used.
In the unit, there are practice opportunities to informally assess students on the standards addressed. Students will be asked to perform operations with decimals and also be able to model using concrete examples.
Additionally, there is a game that can be used for review and practice as well as a possible summative assessment.