You can get the free aligned PP here:
1. Increase attention span with self checking and movement with tools
2. Build student confidence with written and multiple choice responses, reading assessments, and teaching students to
defend their answers
3. Prevent mistakes to help students earn scores reflective of ability
4. Encourages parent involvement
5. Teach students to keep the academic expectation high while balancing fun
-Start the year back to school with concrete goals of expectations for completing assessments to the new CCRS standard. Save time teaching students to avoid simple mistakes on multiple choice questions and unfinished answers to extended response questions in all subject areas
This unit is created to teach students to meet the New Standards/ Common Core by giving students fun, relatable acronyms and concrete, accomplishable steps for any student, any subject. My fifth and sixth graders are too old for themes, and too cool for...well, everything that isn't their idea.
1. You introduce the Swagger Wagon (over 12 million views) video using the pre made PowerPoint. You can play this multiple times every day from here on out with the students.
2. You use the included PP to teach students the seven types of swagger.
3. Give each student a blank SWAGGER board, free of dog tags.
4. You use the powerpoint or your own activities to have students demonstrate the mastery of each skill.
5. As a student shows you they mastered a skill- you determine how and when or use the suggested instructions- you give them a dog tag relating to the corresponding skill. For example, Johnny's multiple choice question has Y M M N by each letter choice, and he wrote his reason why to the side. You see this when you go by Johnny, so you give him the lime green dog tag "G."
6. Introduce, teach, and request students use the individual EVIDENCE checklist to help answer all questions to the best of student ability, while encouraging higher level thinking, and preventing mistakes.
7. When all students have earned all seven dog tags, their board will spell out S-W-A-G-G-E-R (like bingo, but it's not luck!).
8. Have a reward ceremony (take ten minutes or whole class period) where students show you completed board and mandatory swagger dance moves (a chance to be goofy), to earn their #Swaggerskills Master certificates and toolkits.
9. Continue to use toolkit resources, SWAGGER and EVIDENCE acronyms as expectation for students.
Take a look at the short sample. The teacher instructions of the thematic unit plan will get you hooked on how you an incorporate the posters, activities, printables, dancing, toolkit and so much more in your classroom.