EDI Common Core Close Reading Lessons for Increasingly Complex Text
• This is a complete set of 12 lessons to adapt any reading material, fiction or non-fiction, you already have to a Common Core Close Reading lesson integrating the Explicit Direct Instruction techniques that your supervisor is looking for during walkthroughs.
• No preparation is required, and the only materials needed are your own reading passages, a pencil, lined paper, and a strip of scrap construction paper as a place-keeper. Your reading passages remain unspoiled to be used again next year.
• Easily adapts to digital reading materials.
• The semi-independent nature of the lessons frees the teacher to pull a small group or circulate throughout the classroom.
• Use whole class or in small groups, for core instruction and intervention.
• Use each lesson daily for 2-4 weeks until it becomes routine, then move up to the next complexity level.
• Excellent resource for substitutes, aides, volunteers, parents, homeschoolers and paraprofessionals.
• Used successfully with SRA reading lab, Open Court Reading, Evan Moor Reading Comprehension, Kelly Wingate Reading Comprehension, Houghton Mifflin Science, and worksheets from http://www.k12reader.com/subject/3rd-grade-reading-comprehension-worksheets/ and edHelper.com.
• Although written with Grade 3 in mind, these lessons are suitable for grade 2 ( second grade), grade 3 (third grade), grade 4 (fourth grade), grade 5 (fifth grade) , special education, homeschool, and ELL (English Language Learners).
• Correlates to CCSS Common Core Standards 3.RL.1, 3.RL.7, 3.RL.10, 3.RI.1, 3.RI.4, 3.RI.7, 3.RI.10, 3. RF.3, 3.RF.4, 3.L.4,
• Conforms to the EDI (Explicit Direct Instruction) teaching model.