This complete unit is a collection of my CELLS resources
found in my LIFE SCIENCE CURRICULUM - THE COMPLETE COURSE ~ 5E MODEL
and is now being offered as an individual unit for purchase.
– If you have purchased Nitty Gritty Physical Science Bundles in the past, resources from this unit may be included. If so, please use the links below to add only what you need to complete your CELLS unit or to see a preview of each resource:
• Cells: Structure and Function - Life Science Interactive Notebook
• Cells: Structure and Function - Editable Notes, PowerPoints and Chapter Test
• Cells: Structure and Function - Task Cards
• Cells: Structure and Function - Demo, Lab & Science Stations
• Cells: Structure and Function - Word Wall Vocab
as well as
• Cell Processes and Energy - Life Science Interactive Notebook
• Cell Processes and Energy - Editable Notes, PowerPoints and Chapter Test
• Cell Processes and Energy - Task Cards
• Cell Processes and Energy - Demo, Lab & Science Stations
• Cell Processes and Energy - Word Wall Vocab
The Life Science Cell Unit
includes the following main concepts:
• The Discovery of Cells
• The Plasma Membrane
• Eukaryotic Cell Structure
• Prokaryotic Cell Structure
• Cellular Transport
• Cellular Respiration
• Cell Cycle
• DNA Structure and Replication
• Control System of a Cell
The unit incorporates instructional strategies that give students the ability to master these scientific topics
and allows them to:
• State the cell theory
• Distinguish characteristics of prokaryotic cells and eukaryotic cells
• Describe the functions of the major cell structures
• Identify structures and explain the main functions of the cell membrane and cell wall
• Recognize scientists’ contributions to the discovery of the cell
• Understand effects of osmosis on cells in hypertonic solution, hypertonic solution, and isotonic solution
• Describe where plants get the energy needed to produce food
• Recognize the overall equation for photosynthesis and cellular respiration
• Explain the role of sunlight and chlorophyll in photosynthesis
• Identify two types of fermentation
• Identify and describe the structure of DNA
• Explain the process of DNA replication
• Describe the main events of the cell cycle and the four phases of mitosis
• Understand how the cell cycle is regulated
• Differentiate cancer cells from other cells
Nitty Gritty Science Units are based on the 5 E MODEL
and include the following resources:
• TEACHER-LED DEMO
that promotes inquiry, illuminates key concepts and, most importantly, leads to heightened curiosity.
• GUIDED INQUIRY LAB
that uses processes that are referred to as inquiry process skills which include observing, predicting, classifying, measuring, inferring, controlling variables, manipulating materials, interpreting data and experimenting.
• SCIENCE INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOKS use creative activities to motivate students to process information and demonstrate critical thinking.
• EDITABLE NOTES AND POWERPOINTS prepared by Nitty Gritty Science save you time and help you with presenting a successful lecture. The notes serve to guide students through the teacher’s presentation and are editable so you, as the teacher, can adjust the information you want the students to fill in. The editable PowerPoint helps the teacher present the content in an orderly fashion using visual aids to enhance the presentation.
• SCIENCE STATIONS provide an engaging way for students to extend their knowledge and skills by working independently of the teacher in small groups or pairs.
• TASK CARDS are a collection of review cards to be used for review, such as game-style review, group review, one-on-one tutoring, bell ringers, exit slips, the list goes on.
• CHAPTER TESTS prepared by Nitty Gritty Science use a variety of item formats that help assess different levels of student thinking and skills. The items used in the tests include multiple-choice, completion, interpreting diagrams and essays. However, if more would like to be added, all tests are editable.
Cliff Note Version: Product is for ONE TEACHER – Please do not distribute illegally and if using with your students in an online capacity, make sure documents are password protected.
Copyright © Nitty Gritty Science, LLC. All rights reserved by author Dr. Erica Colón. This product is to be used by the original downloader only. Copying for more than one teacher, classroom, department, school, or school system is prohibited. This product may not be distributed or displayed digitally for public view. Failure to comply is a copyright infringement and a violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). Clipart and elements found in this PDF are copyrighted and cannot be extracted and used outside of this file without permission or license. Intended for classroom and personal use ONLY.