'Civics & Citizenship In Song' is a professionally-produced album comprising 11 of our original, curriculum-aligned songs.
- These songs are also downloadable as individual, illustrated song videos, and MP3 song packages (song & lesson materials).
- All of our publications are covid-friendly! If your school is unable to sing, at the moment because of restrictions, our content-rich, curriculum-aligned lyrics stand alone as poems (perfect for literacy extension, poetry units, reading groups, etc.).
- Download a FREE copy of our 'Tips for Using Songs in Your Classroom'!
This dynamic teaching resource specifically targets character education outcomes and citizenship, helping students to understand rights and responsibilities associated with citizenship, while enabling them to internalize values and attitudes for participating in the civic life of their communities.
Targeting learning sequences of curriculum documents, the songs support & integrate learning across key subject areas. They cover such themes as:
• Rules & Responsibilities
• Making Responsible Choices
• The Environment
• Social Justice
• Values Australia
• Australian Democracy
They are perfect for:
• Motivating and engaging students
• Introducing new units of work
• Kick starting discussion
• Summarising & reinforcing learning content
• Aiding recall of important information
• Extending literacy
• Assembly & performance pieces…
Children Learn What They Sing™
• ‘AUSTRALIAN DEMOCRACY’ (Grades 4-12) helps students to understand the meaning of democracy and to develop an appreciation for those who fought for rights and freedoms we enjoy today.
• ‘BOUNCE BACK!’ (Grades 3-6) provides a non-threatening, positive behaviours medium for kick starting discussion about RESILIENCE, as well as skills for bouncing back from adversity.
• ‘BULLY-FREE ZONE!’ (Grades K-6) is a whole school, positive behaviours approach to dealing with bullying behaviours in primary schools. *View student Video
• ‘KEEP IT CLEAN!’ (Grades K-6) is a funky, whole school, curriculum-aligned, environmental rap song. Selected for the ABC's 2010 SING! publication, it not only highlights responsibility for protecting our planet, it also provides students with simple, practical suggestions for caring for the environment. *Student assembly video.
*TIP: Start with chorus and actions, and one verse only, for younger grades (K,1). Gradually add other verses.
• ’LIVING VALUES’ (Grades K-12) is a whole school, anthem-style song that highlights nine core values (The Government's Nine Values for Australian Schooling)
• Care & Compassion
• Doing Your Best
• Honesty & Trustworthiness
• Understanding, Tolerance & Inclusion
• The Government's Nine Values for Australian Schooling)
• ‘MANNERS’ (Grades K-6) provides a whole-school, positive behaviours approach to learning and reinforcing good manners. Its funky style delivers helpful, practical examples, and has huge appeal for all ages!
• ‘ONE WORLD’ (Grades K-6) discusses cultural similarities and differences (food, clothing, shelter, customs, language, leisure and music…), helping students to understand, celebrate, and embrace diversity. *TIP: Sing and do Chorus actions only, with Kinder and younger grades, letting them listen to and discuss the verses, until they're familiar with the content. Add verses for older grades.
• ‘OUR CLASS RULES ~ OK!’(Grades K-3) helps young students to learn positive classroom behaviours, rules & responsibilities, highlighting consideration for the safety and happiness of others.
• ‘PEOPLE & THEIR BELIEFS’(Grades 3-12) helps students to understand that people have different religious beliefs, customs and rituals, and to respect, celebrate, and embrace diversity.
• ‘THE CITIZEN SHIP’ (Grades 3-6) helps students to understand basic tenets of
active citizenship, including:
• ‘WAKE UP!’ (Grades 3-6) highlights the importance of making responsible choices and being grateful for what we have. It helps students to develop empathy, compassion, and consideration for others.
♫ A Review:
In terms of application to the classroom, and usability by teachers they rate a tick in every box.' ~ Brendan Hitchens, Teacher, Music In Action: A Magazine for Educators
COPYRIGHT: ©Lyrics: Nuala O’Hanlon / Music: Kathryn Radloff: KEYSTONE CREATIONS ~ Educational Songs. All rights reserved. These songs are for the use of the purchaser/purchasing school only. Neither this work nor any part of it may be reproduced, distributed, performed or displayed in any medium, including electronic or digital (except within purchasing school), without permission in writing from the copyright owner.
KEYSTONE CREATIONS ~ Educational Songs
A Lesson in Every Lyric®