*CLICK ON THE PREVIEW BUTTON TO SEE A SNEAK PEEK OF SOME OF THE TASKS, DECORATIONS, AND MENUS INCLUDED!
I created an ENGAGING, RIGOROUS and CHEAP Classroom Transformation called Geometry Grill. Don't let the name fool you into thinking it only involves geometry skills! This transformation has students working on over 100 tasks at 7 different centers using skills such as:
- word problems
- place value
- measurement conversions
- area and perimeter
The 7 Different Centers and a Small Description:
Dessert Time: Students will use 5 different recipe cards to answer 20 different tasks. Tasks in this bundle involve knowledge of fractions (adding, subtracting, and multiplying).
Floor Plans: Students will use their knowledge of area & perimeter and measurement conversions to solve 15 different tasks. Some area & perimeter tasks have students using floor plans for the “grill” while other tasks have students using a conversion chart.
Store Sign: Students must follow a specific set of 13 guidelines to create a store sign using a variety of geometry skills (measuring/identifying angles, symmetry, and shapes).
Table Trivia: Students will use a variety of skills (patterns, place value, critical thinking, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, rounding, word problems, time) to answer trivia type questions. ALL 24 trivia cards have the answer located on the bottom. Students are required to answer 3 trivia questions before creating their own.
Menu Orders: Students receive 20 “order slips” or word problems to calculate guests totals and/or determine if guests had enough money to buy XYZ. Skills used at this: addition, subtraction, money, and word problems.
Catering Orders: Guest at this center receive 20 order slips for large party orders. At this center students will work on the following skills: addition, subtraction, use a clock (I provided clock templates – great for spec ed) to determine word problems involving time, and answer open ended questions.
Live Orders: Have real life waiters and guests at tables. Here, guests can place orders using a menu (provided) and waiters must calculate their order. While guests are waiting, they can complete a variety of activities on their Place Mat such as patterns, coloring, Tic-Tac-Toe and a Sudoku Puzzle.
- Table numbers
- Store hours
- Editable name tags for students to wear
- Editable work placement cards (so students know what center they will be at),
- Please Wait to be Seated sign
- Reservation cards (if you'd like to invite guests)
- This bundle includes 2 editable Word documents, PDF's, & a SmartNOTEBOOK file (please note: the SmartNOTEBOOK file is not needed to facilitate Geometry Grill. It was created as an extra decoration to display on the board while students work).
- Every center has an accompanying direction sign (half sheet, cut and taped to wooden dowels to put into the flower vases)
- Every center has 2 recording sheets. One recording sheet can be printed on one page OR your recording sheet could be printed front to back, which allows for more space for student work
- I've created a ready to print student recording packet
- I included a Planning Sheet to help you stay organized and ensure each student made it to every center
- I have also created a document for teachers to read, that further explains all the centers, how I prepped, and where I got materials from
A Little Back Story:
During the school year, I wanted to review some of the heavy hitting skills my 4th graders had learned throughout the year! I wanted to blow away students with so much fun and engagement, that they wouldn't even pay attention to the fact that they were reviewing a whole years worth of content! Thus came a grand plan that took me 6 weeks to create! But let me tell you...it paid off! My students had never been so engaged, so focused and determined, and there wasn't a single behavior problem! The excitement took over and students were ROCKING IT! This classroom transformation was the highlight of their year, and they couldn't wait to share it with other students and staff in the building.