Subject/Level: Spanish, Level I
Unit: Clothing and Shopping
Prior Learning: Students are familiar with vocabulary for clothing, fabrics, descriptions and prices. Students have been introduced to procedures for currency conversions.
Assessment Objectives: Students will be able to:
1. demonstrate the ability to plan, prepare and execute an appealing and informative brochure or slideshow presentation
2. demonstrate the ability to plan and structure a project by setting goals and maintaining organization
3. demonstrate the ability to calculate foreign currencies
4. demonstrate the ability to use a variety of vocabulary to describe clothing
Standards: Communication, Connections, Comparisons
L1: Demonstrate command of conventions and grammar when writing and speaking.
L2: Demonstrate command of conventions of capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.
L6: Acquire and apply general academic and specific vocabulary necessary for college and career readiness; use language independently to increase fluency.
W2: Write a sequential, organized text to inform.
W4: Present information clearly demonstrating consideration of perspective, purpose, and audience.
W5: Develop and strengthen writing through planning, revising, editing, rewriting or trying a new approach.
W6: Use a variety of media to produce and publish writing and to interact and collaborate with others.
W7: Conduct research in order to answer focused questions and demonstrate understanding of the subject under investigation.
W10: Write frequently on a variety of topics for a variety of purposes.
Materials Used: project description and instructions, rough draft graphic organizer, rubrics, student computers, and/or poster board and clothing catalogs and magazines
1. Students plan a clothing catalog or presentation which contains a variety of vocabulary for clothing and accessories in Spanish.
2. Students complete a project which includes the following essential information:
vocabulary for clothing and accessories
prices in a foreign currency from a Spanish-speaking country of their choosing (including conversion rate)
adjective and article agreement for clothing items
descriptions of items which may include colors, fabrics and patterns
at least four clothing categories or departments
at least 25 clothing and accessory items organized by category
appropriately themed visuals for an appealing finished product
3. Students provide visuals to aid presentation.