Debate the colonization of Texas with this fun activity. Students will be given background information from a reading on the colonization of Texas. They will debate the solutions to different scenarios experienced by Stephen F. Austin and the American colonists during the Mexican National Era.
This resource has been modified for ELL students with Word Wall terms, simplified text and sentence stems.
With this resource, you will receive,
-Directions for how to conduct the activity.
-Word Wall terms to post for the Colonization of Texas
- Content readings and discussion questions on the colonization of Texas including: Moses Austin, Stephen F. Austin, Erasmo Seguin, Baron de Bastrop, Green DeWitt and Martin De Leon.
-Scenario questions for your students to debate.
-Graphic Organizer for the colonizers and their impact on Texas.
-Chart summarizing the purposes and methods of colonization by the Spanish, Mexicans and Anglo-Americans.
-Triple Venn Diagram to process the different purposes and methods of colonization.
⭐Please download the preview for more details. ⭐
TEXAS HISTORY TEKS
(2) History. The student understands the causes and effects of European exploration and colonization of Texas and North America. The student is expected to:
(E) identify the accomplishments and explain the economic motivations and impact of significant empresarios, including Stephen F. Austin and Martín de León, on the settlement of Texas.
(2) History. The student understands how individuals, events, and issues through the Mexican National Era shaped the history of Texas. The student is expected to:
(D) identify the individuals, issues, and events related to Mexico becoming an independent nation and its impact on Texas, including …the Mexican federal Constitution of 1824, the merger of Texas and Coahuila as a state, the State Colonization Law of 1825, and slavery;
(E) identify the contributions of significant individuals, including Moses Austin, Stephen F. Austin, Erasmo Seguín, Martín De León, and Green DeWitt, during the Mexican settlement of Texas; and
(F) contrast Spanish, Mexican, and Anglo purposes for and methods of settlement in Texas.
(21) Social studies skills. The student applies critical-thinking skills to organize and use information acquired through established research methodologies from a variety of valid sources, including electronic technology. The student is expected to:
(A) differentiate between, locate, and use valid primary and secondary sources such as computer software, databases, media and news services, biographies, interviews, and artifacts to acquire information about Texas;
(B) analyze information by sequencing, categorizing, identifying cause-and-effect relationships, comparing, contrasting, finding the main idea, summarizing, making generalizations and predictions, and drawing inferences and conclusions;
(C) organize and interpret information from outlines, reports, databases, and visuals, including graphs, charts, timelines, and maps;
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you. ☺
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. You will now receive email updates about this store. ☺
© 2018 Social Studies Success, LLC. This purchase is for you and your classroom. Duplication for an entire school, an entire school system, or for commercial purposes is strictly forbidden. Please have other teachers purchase their own copy. If you are a school or district interested in purchasing several licenses, please contact me for a district-wide quote. Do not share this document with Amazon Inspire.
Please review all product descriptions and previews. If you have a question, contact me before you purchase at SocialStudiesSuccess1@gmail.com. As this is a digital product, all sales are final.