COLUMBUS DAY READING/ VOCAB/ STRIP STORY/ WH QUESTIONS/ GRAMMAR/ WORD FUN
10 PRINTABLES with ANSWER KEYS
1. Christopher Columbus Reading: This is a 2 page biography on Christopher Columbus.
2. Vocabulary Exercises (3 pages): Matching, Fill in the Blanks and Correct the Sentences. These vocabulary exercises include words like explore, expedition, continent, voyage, admiral, discover, weaver, fund, silk, crew, etc.
3. Sequence Strip Story: Students will cut apart the strips and put them in order. Then they will paste them on a separate piece of paper.
4. WH Question Words: Making Information Question
Students will make information questions using the WH Question Words (what, how, who, where, how many, when, why, etc.) Students will first read the answer to the question. The underlined word in the sentence will indicated which WH question word the students will need to use to write the correct question.
Christopher Columbus was a famous explorer.
Students need to write the question “Who was Christopher Columbus?”
5. Scrambled Words: Students will unscramble the words from the story.
6. Alphabetize and Find Word Search: Students will alphabetize the list of vocabulary words on the left. Then, they will find them in the puzzle.
7. Grammar Review: Students write a noun, adjective and verb for each of the initial letters in the words “Columbus Day”.
CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS SMART BOARD SEQUENCING STORY AND WORKSHEET
1. Smart Board Lesson (10 pages)
Students will have fun with this interactive Sequencing unit. They will move the sentences on the Smart Board to put them in the correct order. There are 15 sentences about the life of Columbus. There are 6 slides with pictures to help the students understand the story better. They could then retell the story in their own words by only looking at the pictures on the slides.
2. Follow Up worksheet with Teacher Notes included.
Students will cut apart the strips and put them in order. Then, they will paste them on a separate piece of paper. (These are the exact same sentences that are on the Smart Board Lesson.)
Tags: Columbus, Columbus Day, Christopher Columbus, Columbus Sequencing Story, Strip Story, Smart Board, Biography, Wh Questions, Information Questions, Word Fun, Columbus Vocabulary
Graphics provided by: