Engaging Introductions: Hook your students with food!
(Includes Interactive Notebook Activities!)
Why teach with food?
-Everyone loves to eat. My students were always thrilled when I incorporated food into a lesson (especially those who don't have full pantries at home).
-If you can connect it to a skill, then you are helping them build schema. So many students come into school with no schema and very few experiences under their belt (especially in low socio-economic schools).
-If you can connect new learning in an engaging and exciting way, I guarantee the retention rate will be a lot higher!
The Complete EAT.READ.THINK. Series (so far):
MAIN IDEA is like a DOUGHNUT
SEQUENCING is like a COOKIE
COMPARING is like BERRIES
CAUSE AND EFFECT is like an APPLE
INFERENCE is like POPCORN
MAKING CONNECTIONS is like BIRTHDAY CAKE
Eat. Read. Think. Series MEGA BUNDLE
This lesson plan and materials are built around the idea that COMPARING IS LIKE BERRIES. How? Well, even though all berries have things in common that make them a berry, they all taste so unique! Just like, even though you can compare characters or texts for how they are similar, you can also contrast them for how they are different.
Table of Contents (by page):
1. Materials Guide
2. Materials Guide
3. Teacher's Guide with lesson plan pg. 1
4. Teacher's Guide with lesson plan pg. 2
5. Anchor Chart Poster
6. Mini Anchor Chart for Interactive Notebooks (INB)
7. Mini CLOZE Anchor Chart for Interactive Notebooks
8. Essential Question Poster 1
9. Essential Question Poster 2
10. Essential Question Poster 3
11. Concrete Comparing Practice (Anchor Chart Pieces)
12. Concrete Comparing Practice (Anchor Chart Sorting Cards)
13. Concrete Comparing Practice (Anchor Chart Sorting Cards & Answer Key)
14. Concrete Comparing Practice (Independent Version)
15. Berry Taste Investigation (Anchor Chart Pieces)
16. Berry Taste Investigation (Anchor Chart Pieces)
17. Berry Taste Investigation (Venn Diagram)
18. Berry Taste Investigation (INB foldable)
19. Abstract Comparing Practice (Text Passage Booklet for INB- Outside)
20. Abstract Comparing Practice (Organizer for Text Passage Booklet - Inside)
21. Comparing definition strip for Interactive Notebook header
22. Sentence Frame 1
23. Sentence Frame 2
24. Comparing Graphic Organizer
25. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 1
26. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 2
27. Exit Ticket with Essential Question 3
28. Blank Exit Ticket
Check out my FULL Interactive Notebooks:
-Reading Interactive Notebook Bundle
-Math Interactive Notebook Bundle
-Social Studies Notebooks
Come see me!