Writer's Workshop is a fabulous way to differentiate your teaching, build a classroom community, engage and motivate even the most reluctant students and incorporate your Common Core ELA standards while creating lifelong writers! Sound perfect?
As a facilitator of Writer's Workshop staff development nation-wide, I know that one of the hardest things about implementing Writer's Workshop is finding the time to plan quality units that fit you and your students.
This second unit will show students they can write books like the authors they love to read. For this unit, we will use Mo Willems as our mentor author and will focus on the “Elephant & Piggie” series. During this unit, we will be focusing on the “crafts” that Mo Willems uses in these stories and encouraging student writers to try them out in their stories to lift the level of their writing. The message is, “You can write like this too! Try it out!”
Included in this unit, you will find:
1. An overview of Writer's Workshop
*Writer's Workshop components
2. Tips & Tidbits on how to teach the unit
3. A suggested writing curriculum calendar for the year (check back throughout the year for ALL the units)
4. List of CCSS covered in the unit
5. 19 daily mini-lessons- including:
*Materials needed for the lesson
*Clear & concise teaching point
*Essential Question AND "I Can" statement
*Reminders/ Suggestions for Conferencing, Mid-Workshop Interruption & the Teaching Share
*Sample anchor charts
(ALL have suggested language to help you get started but you can & should make it your own!)
6. Assessment for student writers and forms for the teacher to record assessment notes
7. Suggested read-alouds & mentor texts
8. Student reflection sheet
10. Other possible teaching points for the unit
11. Two conference sheets and suggestions for using them
12. Developmentally appropriate paper for student use
This is an ALL-INCLUSIVE unit that can be used by any teacher but still gives you the flexibility to be the instructional facilitator in your classroom- just as a workshop model should.
Please ask any questions before purchasing. Don't forget to rate this product to earn credits for future TpT purchases!
If you like this resource, look for future units!
Also, look for additional resources at my website:
and LIKE my FB page: