Writer's Workshop is a fabulous way to differentiate your teaching, build a classroom community, engage and motivate even the most reluctant students and incorporate your Common Core ELA standards while creating lifelong writers! Sound perfect?
As a facilitator of Writer's Workshop staff development nation-wide, I know that one of the hardest things about implementing Writer's Workshop is finding the time to plan quality units that fit you and your students.
This second unit will show students they can write books like the ones they are beginning to read. This will make a concrete connection between reading and writing for our young students. We will teach our writers to use the resources around the room and what they have already learned about labeling to create books that hold meaning. We will teach our writers that pattern books are not just about repeating words- these books communicate meaning. Even the smallest books have big meaning! This unit will empower our writers to see how much they know about writing and use that knowledge to create books that look like the ones they are reading.
Included in this unit, you will find:
1. An overview of Writer's Workshop
*Writer's Workshop components
2. Tips & Tidbits on how to teach the unit
3. A suggested writing curriculum calendar for the year (check back throughout the year for ALL the units)
4. List of CCSS covered in the unit
5. 24 daily mini-lessons- including:
*Materials needed for the lesson
*Clear & concise teaching point
*Essential Question AND "I Can" statement
*Reminders/ Suggestions for Conferencing, Mid-Workshop Interruption & the Teaching Share
*Sample anchor charts
(ALL have suggested language to help you get started but you can & should make it your own!)
6. Assessment for student writers and forms for the teacher to record assessment notes
7. Suggested read-alouds & mentor texts
8. Student reflection sheet
10. Other possible teaching points for the unit
11. Two conference sheets and suggestions for using them
12. Developmentally appropriate paper for student use
This is an ALL-INCLUSIVE unit that can be used by any teacher but still gives you the flexibility to be the instructional facilitator in your classroom- just as a workshop model should.
Please ask any questions before purchasing. Don't forget to rate this product to earn credits for future TpT purchases!
If you like this resource, look for future units!
Also, look for additional resources at my website:
and LIKE my FB page: