Critical Thinking • Odd Word Out is a set of 28 Task Cards for critical thinking and problem solving for students in Grades 5-6.
There are four words listed on each Task Card. Three of the words are related in some way. Some are names of flowers or birds. Some are all words with double consonants or the plural spelling of words. The words are challenging to encourage critical thinking!
• Students must use their critical thinking skills to find the relationship among the words and find the “odd word out” on each Task Card – the one word that does not belong.
• Students write the word that does not belong on their Student Record Sheet.
• They also write a brief explanation explaining the reason the one word does not belong with the others.
• You can also have students work in pairs to come up with solutions.
Also included in Critical Thinking • Odd Word Out are:
• a Student Record Sheet for students to record their answers
• an Answer Key
• blank templates for you or your students to add additional
groups of words
• directions for playing Scoot
• an Award Certificate
Critical Thinking • Odd Word Out © 2017 Linda Schwartz • Pizzazz Learning
Cover art: © corythoman • Border art: © Red Pepper
Thank you for visiting Pizzazz Learning. As always, I welcome your comments and feedback.
If you purchase Critical Thinking • Odd Word Out, please take a minute to rate it to receive TpT credits.
Be FIRST, to learn about NEW products and SALE notices. Click the star in my store to become a FOLLOWER.
Looking for a specific skill or activity? Pizzazz Learning has Task Cards, Printables, and Worksheets for the following:
addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, word problems, multi-step word problems, mental math, number patterns, fractions, money, time, place value, reviews, test prep
adjectives, adverbs, conjunctions, verbs, nouns, pronouns, prepositions, subject-verb agreement
context clues, dictionary skills, alphabetical order, contractions, compounds, abbreviations, plurals, lists, proofreading, spelling, punctuation, synonyms, antonyms, rhyming, homophones, prefixes, suffixes, vocabulary, creative writing, reviews, test prep, anagrams
social issues, U.S. geography, quiz cards, state trivia, U.S. presidents, famous people, famous women, famous men, famous athletes
superheroes, dogs, sports, fairy tales, birds, plants, kindness, scavenger hunts, mysteries, tolerance, bullies, kindness, word puzzles
Seasons, Holidays, & Special Occasions
beginning of the school year, back-to-school, Thanksgiving, Halloween, Hanukkah, Arbor Day, Chinese New Year, Cinco de Mayo, Christmas, Kwanzaa, Memorial Day, Valentine’s Day, Veteran’s Day, Saint Patrick’s Day, Independence Day, Earth Day
early finishers, gifted and talented, quickie quizzes, critical thinking, creative thinking, quotes