The purpose of this fun, hands on activity is to develop your students’ phonological awareness, reading and spelling skills. Students use magnetic letters to sound out CVC words. They then consolidate their learning by completing the worksheets in the pack. It is an ideal activity for small groups, literacy centers or as a whole class activity.
The pack includes:
- 12 x short ‘a’ CVC picture cards (pink)
- 12 x short ‘e’ CVC picture cards (yellow)
- 12 x short ‘i’ CVC picture cards (green)
- 12 x short ‘o’ CVC picture cards (red)
- 12 x short ‘u’ CVC picture cards (orange)
- 1 x set of alphabet cards. The consonants are blue and the vowels are red. You can either cut them into squares or circles
- 5 x 'match the picture to the word' worksheets (a, e, i, o, u)
- 5 x sounding out worksheets
- 1 x set of answer sheets
You will need:
- Picture cards - decide if you will keep the sheets whole or cut them into individual cards.
- Letter cards/magnetic letters
- Dry eraser / white board marker
How to use the cards:
- Laminate the sheets and letters for longevity.
- Each student is given a picture card and sounds out the word. For example, ‘j-a-m’.
- They then put the letters on the picture card.
- Once the student has sounded out the word, they ‘tick’ a star. They then ask a partner to double check their work. The partner then writes a ‘tick’ in the second star.
Set 1: Students match the picture to the word
Set 2: Students sound out the words and write each letter in the box
You might also be interested in:
Follow Little Wombats on Facebook