The purpose of these CVC cards is to develop your students’ phonological awareness, reading and spelling skills. It is an ideal activity for small groups, literacy centers or as a whole class activity.
The pack includes:
• 12 x short ‘a’ CVC picture cards (pink)
• 12 x short ‘e’ CVC picture cards (yellow)
• 12 x short ‘i’ CVC picture cards (green)
• 12 x short ‘o’ CVC picture cards (red)
• 12 x short ‘u’ CVC picture cards (orange)
* 1 x set of alphabet cards. The consonants are blue and the vowels are red. You can either cut them into squares or circles.
You will need:
• Picture cards - decide if you will keep the sheets whole or cut them into individual cards.
• Letter cards – one group per child
• Dry eraser / white board marker
• (Optional) Magnetic letters or letter tiles (such as you find in a Scrabble game)
How to use the cards:
• Laminate the sheets and letters for longevity.
• Each student is given a picture card and sounds out the word. For example, ‘j-a-m’.
• They then put the letters on the picture card.
• Once the student has sounded out the word, they ‘tick’ a star. They then ask a partner to double check their work. The partner then writes a ‘tick’ in the second star.
You might also be interested in:
CVC Matching Activity - Short a
CVC Matching Activity - Short e
CVC Matching Activity - Short i
CVC Matching Activity - Short o
CVC Matching Activity - Short u
CVC Matching Activity - Mixed Vowels
CVC Matching Activity - Bundle
Dab It, Write It, Spell It
CVC Word Families Flip Cards
Follow Little Wombats on Facebook